The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

molding

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: MOLD PROBLEM!!! HELP QUICK!!!| Next thread: moldy leaves »
Back to Thread index
by sam314 on March 31, 2005 10:12 PM
A friend of mine has a philodendron vine. Recently, she noticed the rots were beginning to show as a result of watering and compacting soil. She then top dressed the soil with some new soil and now has mold on the new soil. She hasn't watered for quite a while, so I don't think it would be from that. Any ideas? [dunno]

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by rozy221 on April 01, 2005 06:02 AM
Hi Sam! Is it MOLD-like green fuzzy stuff-or is it white? I made the mistake of confusing mold with the harmless white-stuff. It's actually salts and stuff from the stuff in the soil & the water (am i getting too technical here for ya? [perplexed] ) If it's the white stuff, you can just water thoroughly a couple of times and it should wash out. Hope this helps, and hopefully, someone who knows a little more than me will be by soon. Good luck to your friend!
by sam314 on April 02, 2005 07:58 PM
Actually, I asked her the same questions. (I do know about the soluble salts...from experience) She said it was grey mold. I haven't actually seen it, so I'm not sure exactly...

Thanks anyways!

God Bless,
Sam
by Jiffymouse on April 04, 2005 03:50 AM
sam, if it is indeed mold, then she isn't letting the soil dry enough between waterings. if the soil was compacted and/or the plant root bound, then she probably didn't do it any favors by just top dressing it. sounds like it is time to either pot it to a bigger pot, or root prune it (something i am not fond of, but understand the need for). also, some philos put out something called air roots. that is a different ball game all together.
by sam314 on April 07, 2005 04:56 AM
Thanks Jiffy!
It appears that it was the overwatering that was the problem. I noticed I had the same stuff my friend described and called her up. Thanks!

God Bless,
Sam

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: MOLD PROBLEM!!! HELP QUICK!!!| Next thread: moldy leaves »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: