The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Best way to remove my lawn.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Ian67 on March 27, 2006 09:37 PM
I moved into my house 3 years ago and am just about to start working in my garden for the 1st time really.
My lawn is a mess, badly un-even, some bald patches, and some different styles of grass scattered everywhere.
My neighbours told me the previous occupants used to scatter any old seeds or patch areas with different types of grass.
There is different shades and blade sizes all over it.

My question:
Is there anything I can put on the grass that will completley remove it (roots too) to leave an almost bare soil?
I want to level the ground and lay new turf NEXT year.

Whatever I use it must be safe for my kids and pets.

Thanks in advance.
by jonni13 on March 27, 2006 09:47 PM
Hello Ian, How large of a lawn area are you talking about? If it is a smallish area, I would go organic with a lasagna-type cover for the next year. Topped with a layer of mulch for eye-appeal. If it is large, you have your work cut out for you.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by Ian67 on March 27, 2006 09:53 PM
The lawn is about 10x10 (metres)
Quite managable considering work and kids take up most of my time.

I'm such a novice, the only 'lasagna' I know is the one you eat.
by johnCT on March 27, 2006 11:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ian67:

My question:
Is there anything I can put on the grass that will completley remove it (roots too) to leave an almost bare soil?

Glyphosate(Round-up) But don't expect miracles. I'm sure there are tons of weed and grass seed in the soil just waiting to sprout. This is just not easily done. You could sod the area, but its pretty expensive. Might not be too bad for only 900 sq ft. This will cover up all undesireable seed and you could control any unwanted germination with a pre-emergent herbicide.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on March 28, 2006 02:05 AM
I'd hire a bobcat to remove the existing soil, level and shape the area and spread the new topsoil, which the operator will probably be able to bring for you.
He will also take away the old stuff if you can't use it elsewhere on your place. (Though i reckon this is a waste of a resource as it's probably good soil which could be very useful in other gardens or to create raised beds etc. Maybe a friend or neighbour could use it to lessen the haulage).
A decent operator in a bobcat would do a 10m x 10m area in an afternoon. From start to finish. Easily. Then you just have to lay the turf.
If you want to lay the turf next year then i'd do the lot in one go. ie, next year in late winter/early spring, so it's ready to lay for new spring growth. You could do it in a weekend and you have a year to plan it and budget for it.
Even if you poison the grass, that won't level and shape the area and as John says, it may not work perfectly anyway. At about $50 per hour a machine can just get it done in a blink. I've done a lot of earthmoving at home and i reckon for every day i spend with a wheelbarrow, a bobcat can do the same amount of work, better, in an hour. I reckon i'm worth more than $50 a day!

-
The secret is the soil.
by Ian67 on March 28, 2006 07:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to hire a machine to do the hard work for me.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: