The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is this okay for a Peace Lily??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Mandy N. on March 29, 2005 08:24 AM
I was reading on a different topic about a fern, and Will- you said:

"If potboundness was your only concern - and I understand it is not - then I would suggest root pruning. This is simply using that same stout knife to slice a half inch off the bottom and sides of the rootball and replacing it with fresh potting mix. This works like a charm for plants that you would like to keep as-is in the same pot.
Will The Slicer"

Does this work on a Peace Lily too? I love the size that it is, but it needs to be watered so frequenly, and seems to want to upgrade to a larger pot. I want it the same.... Please advise... [dunno]
Also, isn't that a really messy kind of job??? Obviously this is not an indoor kinda job. Thanks for anyones information on this.
Mandy

Work like you don't need the money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one is watching.
by sachis2112 on March 30, 2005 12:12 AM
I've been told that peace lilies really can be sensitive about their roots. If you really are having trouble and have no other option, you might try dividing the plant rather than doing surgery. Then you'll have 2 babies that you can grow to the size you like or until they also get root bound and need room to grow.

Try the plant profile page. I'm sure there's something there about peace liies. They're loved by many!

-
by Will Creed on March 30, 2005 01:07 AM
Hi Mandy,

Yes, you can root prune just about any healthy potted plant. Sachis is right about peace lilies being a litte sensitive. It is because they are all hybrids that lack the vigor of species. In fact, I have observed that peace lilies tend not to live as long as they used to, although they do come in a lot more varieties and bloom better initially.

The task does not have to be too messy. I use a small plastic tarp or some newspapers. A nice, long, sharp knife makes it real easy. Just slice off the bottom first. Then slice off the sides from top to bottom. It will end up looking more square than round, but that doesn't matter.

Sachis says divide and I say prune. I suspect that this reflects a gender difference - Sacchis reflecting the maternal tendency to reproduce and me reflecting the paternal desire to limit and control.
by Mandy N. on March 30, 2005 01:47 AM
Thanks! It's good to know that I could do either. I wasn't thinking about dividing, but that might be a good idea if I could think of someplace to put it! [thumb]
by nkatzer on June 04, 2005 09:51 AM
Can I safely divide my peace lilies? I guess a lot of this is over my head!! LOL I wondered about the damage to the roots-When I transplanted mine they were seriously rootbound! So I am totally not sure what to do now since they seem to still be alive but they aren't blooming!
by Will Creed on June 04, 2005 04:53 PM
Hi Nancy,

Don't be intimidated by some of the esoteric nonsense some of us get into. Your question is a good one.

Yes, you can divide a peace lily. Use a long sharp knife and slice right through the rootball and don't worry about cutting some roots. Put the divisions into the smallest pots that you can squeeze them into. Expect them to pout a bit after the surgery.

Peace lily flowering is very quixotic because there are so many hybrids out there. Many of the hybrids are bred to produce one major burst of flowers at the time of sale. Although these hybrids will flower again, they rarely flower as prolifically. Keeping your peace lily very tightly potted will always enhance the possibilites of flowering.

Active Garden Forum