The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP PLEASE

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: help please!!| Next thread: help please!! »
Back to Thread index
by kingbam on November 21, 2005 10:47 PM
first time home owner here, yes with first time grass and grass problems. well ive been reading the threads and asking around. my problem is in 2 areas, front and back of home. front of home wheni first arrived was beautiful. green and very great looking. but that was the summer now in november i see most of the grass yellow with straw. its directly under sunlight with one tree on the side. under the tree i do see some nice green spots of grass. is this because of shade? how do i fix the yellow with no shade? ok part 2 the backyard. same as well green when i arrived now yellow and much much worse than the front also now with holes like if there where a mole somewhere. what can i do please help im lost?
by johnCT on November 23, 2005 12:45 AM
Most likely because of the cold weather. Nothing you can do now, just wait til spring.

John - Zone 6
by obywan59 on November 23, 2005 01:46 PM
It sounds like you might have a lot of native grass rather than a more cultivated type like tall fescue that wouldn't brown out so. JohnCT is right about it being too late this fall, but in spring you might consider buying some fescues to overseed your yard.

Rebel is a good fescue, also Pennington. They are medium tall fescues with good tolerance of traffic and good green color. I would also mix in some creeping red fescue with the tall fescue for the areas under the trees. It is one of the better grasses for shade although a much finer bladed grass.

You can either rake or lightly till the grass seed in after seeding, roll with a yard roller and cover with straw, or rent a verticutter which will cut slits in your soil allowing the grass to germinate in the slits. No straw is necessary for the methods where you bury the seed if you water judiciously.

As for the moles, they are going after the grubs that are just under your sod. Try some milky spore to get rid of them. There are different types. Some they recommend applying yearly, and others that you apply once and are said to last for 10-20 years.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 02:15 AM
is the 'nap' of the grass really, really thick? if so, it's probably zoisa.

zoisa grass turns yellow in the winter. and it takes a bit to come out of hybernation in the spring, so you'll see yellowish areas for a bit until the warm weather really sinks in.

zoisa spreads out - slowly - so you'll see whatever other type of grass was there originally still mixed in with the zoisa...that's why you have some areas that are green (it's the other type of grass - it'll eventually be crowded out by the zoisa).

if you have periods of drought in the summer, the zoisa will go brown/yellow and look like it's dead...it'll bounce back as soon as a good rain hits. it's very very hardy!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: help please!!| Next thread: help please!! »
Back to Thread index