The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Something ALIVE making holes in yard.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Someplace Warm| Next thread: Something ALIVE making holes in yard. »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by ClodHopper on June 04, 2004 10:17 PM
Your post was a regular Sopa Opera. I got interested in it after just a few posts and had to restrain myself from rushing to the end to see what happened. I'm glad I didn't come in at the beginning, or like catlover I would have died from curiousity. =)
[kitty]

Hook em'
by afgreyparrot on June 04, 2004 11:01 PM
Glad you enjoyed it! Everything in my daily life turns into a soap opera! [Big Grin]
(Or, maybe I turn everything in my life into a soap opera!!! [Wink] )

Here's another topic for your reading pleasure...more soap opera!
Slugs and Beer

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Mikizinaniisii on June 05, 2004 05:00 PM
Could be what are called land crawdad's or crayfish. They look allot like their cousins who live in streams and creeks, but are usually blue in color. They usually leave a wet, funny looking clump of dirt just outside the hole, that is used to shade the sun, and wind, but not always. You might be able to put a peice of corn next time you have corn for dinner and see if it takes it. Corn is their favorite treat. I do think though if it is one, you would have seen it by now.

Miki
by afgreyparrot on June 06, 2004 06:09 AM
The reason I haven't seen it is because it is an ALIEN!!! (or Bill!)

-
 -
 -
by murphyette on July 05, 2004 03:46 PM
I am wondering if the holes could have been made by those 17yr Cicadas? I know you said it was grubs...but I just thought I would throw out the Cicada theory.

Jody
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 04:03 PM
Cindy, Is Bill makin' Holes in your Yard...Again?
by Meg on July 05, 2004 04:04 PM
Ya know, when I read this a month ago, I also wondered about the cicadas... [muggs]

I also enjoyed reading your thread back then with slugs & beer.. OMG, I was roflmao!! And I told my hubby, and he was laughing hysterically too.. hehe. [muggs]

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 04:21 PM
You don't want to get me started on Bill again! I've been trying to leave him alone!

And, Phil, way to go starting the interest in the "Bill picture", then disappearing! What I could with that photo would amaze and astound you! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] But, I sure wouldn't want to pi$$ Bill  - off and risk a "poofing"! (I wouldn't be that stupid to post someone's pic unless they posted it FIRST!"

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 04:26 PM
Well Cindy...I didn't receive any THREATS....well except the "I'll get you for that Phil" there at the first mention....Hey Bill...Gonna POOF Me ifin I show Cindy? I figured he had p.m.'d ya a pic since you Quieted down about it! [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 04:28 PM
Don't worry he's not watching!
Show me!

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 04:29 PM
And if I ever get a PM from Bill it will scare the SH%# out of me because I will probably be in trouble!
(Problem Child!)

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 04:36 PM
Oh...He's watching  -
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 04:38 PM
Surely to God he's got better things to do!
Like maybe go outside and play with his gnomes! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 05:15 PM
Personally I think everyone should either POST a photo, or make a link available , so we can SEE the people we spend so much time with...What Ya say... I'll show Ya mine ...If... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:20 PM
Hey. I'm the only one who has one actually posted on here. That is REALLY me in the "Wild Willy" post.

Now, you show me yours! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 05:23 PM
ok, on the big 1000!
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:25 PM
You better not post one of those bogus ones like Bill posted, either! I've seen your Webshots!

-
 -
 -
by Meg on July 05, 2004 05:32 PM
Ok, I'll post one.. heck, my photos are all over the net anyways. You may have even already seen it, if you looked thru any of my yahoo albums from my posting my pumpkin pics thru there. Here is me-

-

Meg

-
 -

by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:36 PM
Cool!
There ya go Phil. Now I am not alone! Everyone here knows what me and Meg look like now!
Don't chicken out!

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 05:38 PM
See Everybody! Meg ain't a scaredy Cat! Nice Pic Meg [thumb] Darn It Cindy I was going to post:  -
Yeah I know that was You Cindy I seen one somewhere else.....Oh yeah At the POST OFFICE [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:43 PM
Very funny! [Big Grin] You don't EVEN want to start with me, since I have the link to your webshots page and the power to EDIT AND ADD!!!
[Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 05:44 PM
[Razz] [Razz] We're on our way... [wayey] [wayey] [scaredy] [scaredy] [perplexed] [perplexed]
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:45 PM
OK...where you postin' that 1000th?????

-
 -
 -
by Phil and Laura on July 05, 2004 05:49 PM
[Razz] [Razz] [Razz] IT will be on the thread you started Cindy. We are going to go outside and take it NOW. [Eek!] [Eek!]
by Meg on July 05, 2004 05:53 PM
Cindy, I think I've seen your photo, maybe with Lola.. but I forget where I saw it! [perplexed]

One more to go Phil & Laura!! Is it too soon for the confetti?  -

Meg

-
 -

by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:55 PM
My "Webshots" albums?
I have a nekked picture of me there, too.

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 05:56 PM
NOT!!!!!

-
 -
 -
by Meg on July 05, 2004 05:59 PM
OMG, don't do that to me.. I was nearly havin a heart attack here..lol. Do I look at her webshots, or not??  -

Meg

-
 -

by afgreyparrot on July 05, 2004 06:01 PM
Yeah, I thought I'd better come back and post that "NOT" so everyone wouldn't leave this site and crash my webshots!!!!! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by Nako on July 09, 2004 02:50 AM
If its a ground wasp, then you'll find various caterpillers inside the hole. Definately don't stick ur finger in lol. I learned my lesson on that one [thumb] [Eek!]

How big was the grub? could you tell me in inches? I was gonna say it was a chipmunk, cuz they make lil holes all around my house, but not that small. the chipmunk holes are around 2" in diameter. I think they're started by moles though.

But wow, that's interesting o.O I think it may be some kinda bug. have you noticed any damage around your gardens from whatever may live in the holes?

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Nako on July 09, 2004 02:58 AM
*realizes that page 1 of the post wasn't the only page*

>.< dangit! i do that all the time! [Big Grin]

Okay well while we're on the subject of pictures: I have pictures of a collage that has my picture in it ^.^ its faint, but i'll post it if i can find it [Smile]

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on July 09, 2004 03:00 AM
Holes are too small for any kind of furry animal! I can just barely stick my finger in them, and most are pinky finger size. The grub was about an inch and a half. Biggest grub I've ever seen here. No damage to anything, just mystery holes. (aliens!)

-
 -
 -
by Meg on July 09, 2004 03:42 AM
Hehehe! Back to page one, eh?

Well, I don't know about these grubs, but OMG, I have HUGE slugs popping up here and there. Last night I was taking the can to the curb for garbage night, and there was a HUGE slug on the top of the can, by the handles. Freaked me out.. it was kinda dark out, and it was so long, I thought there was a snake on my garbage!! [shocked]

Meg

-
 -

by zhimeng on July 23, 2004 10:41 PM
Its obviously squirells, i have the same problem and have watched them do it.
by Kimbhoot on May 21, 2006 09:12 AM
I think this thread will become active again. I have a similar problem as cindy has.. but the holes are bigger than what she had. and it's in several places.. there in one under a tree.. and I put mulches there.. but the hole reappeated.. so looks like whatever creature making the hole is actually using the same ones.. the other day as I stepped out in the deck, saw this snake, maybe 3 feet long running away as it heard me.

This is the last thing I expected.. I just don't want any snakes in my backyard!! [Frown] any suggestions would be appreciated.
by Christina68 on May 26, 2006 05:36 PM
snakes do not dig holes, but they will find a unused hole and take them over.
If it was cool your not going to find a snake

If you view the photo, your see wet mud at the entrance of the hole, I would say it was some type of wasp. It has to be some type of insect

I just learned that a grub is a June bug- I hate the grubs but I loved June bugs..

Garden snakes are very useful, so is grass snakes, they are more scared of us then we are of them.
Sadly I have found a dead grass snake while cleaning out a ditch line today.. very pretty he was, and a lovley shade of green..

now the copperheads we have here, I am not happy with, It has been years since I have seen one, The last time was about 15 years back and I dug into a nest of baby copperheads. and I almost picked one up not knowing what it was ( I though it was a BIG old worm) but my FIL stoped me just in time..
and this year by the trash can, a big one was killed, at the end of our block.

Christina
by Kimbhoot on June 07, 2006 08:49 AM
thanks for the reply.. I'm glad the holes were not from snakes.. funny thing happened.. I saw this hole and I put in this wood stick inside the hole which covered the hole completely.. few days later I see another hole right beside this covered one!! scary.
by Jorgie on June 10, 2006 01:03 PM
Cindy,
Alot of "fisherpeople" would love to come to your house. (How diplomatic can you get)javascript:void(0)javascript:void(0)
Big Grin
Big Grin [Big Grin]
by countrynursewannabe on July 01, 2006 06:38 AM
I am new here, so please bear w/me...Hope I'm doing this right.
I am having a HUGE problem w/moles..My yard is spongy with all the tunnels, does anyone know of anything that has been proven to be effective?
I think they're even worse this year than last.
Please help.
by afgreyparrot on July 01, 2006 04:49 PM
Click Here for some info on moles.

...and welcome to the forum, countrynursewannabe! [wavey]

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by Joel on July 09, 2006 02:48 PM
Hi All..
I'm new and have a question about holes in my lawn .. or what used to be part of my lawn. Most of them are in the dirt part of the lawn but their some in other areas where there is plenty of grass. The holes are about finger or dime size and don't have any mounds around them. Looks like someone just took a drill out there and bored holes around 2" deep. I have seen one or two toads around the place but they seem too big for such a hole. There are lots of them.

Thanks for any info you can offer. I liked the flour idea.. But whatever it is would probably just drag it down the hole and make tiny pans of gravy with it. ;-) (kidding) .. Thanks again.

~j
by afgreyparrot on July 09, 2006 03:13 PM
Hi, Joel... [wavey]
I believe we've met already!

I have holes like you described in my yard...I see them mostly in the dirt under the birdfeeders, and were wondering if they could be from beetles or something, going into the ground to do whatever it is they do that makes larva things (grubs).
[nutz]
I'll try to get a picture tomorrow and we can compare...and see if they look alike. Then maybe someone can shed some light on what it's from.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by merrillzone5 on August 30, 2006 03:19 PM
Well I've gone through 7 pages of this mystery and I WANT TO SEE A PICTURE [Smile] It's been almost 2 months later;WHERE'S THE PICTURE! :mad:SHOW ME THE PICTURE! [Roll Eyes] Anyway i get I think similar holes in my mulch; but not my yard. I know my problem is a furry creature; a MOLE. Do you have yellow jackets as they nest underground.
I remember as a kid at the school playground taking a wild onion and placing it down one of the many "holes" in the field and "fishing for a grubworm which would attach itself to the onion stalk and yank it up after seeing it move;like a fishing float.Try a little yard fishing. [Smile] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by jbaby7162000 on September 02, 2006 12:57 PM
you people have cracked me up.ive enjoyed the mystery,its was better than any hitchcock movie. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [tongue] [nutz]

joanne

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Someplace Warm| Next thread: Something ALIVE making holes in yard. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: