The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Creaturers burrowing underneath pots?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Amy R. on March 14, 2005 09:46 PM
Hi y'all,
Lately I have been noticing some suspicious looking "dirt" in the water trays underneath my plant pots. It looks distinctively like something very small has been burrowing into the drainage holes, and leaving little dooties behind. The only thing is, I haven't noticed any bugs, nor do my plants seem to be suffering. I'm wondering if it is fungus gnats? Do they burrow from the bottom? That is the only pest I have in my house(that I am aware of anyway), and even then, I only see one or two occasionally.

by Will Creed on March 15, 2005 04:46 AM
Oh my God, the Dootie-Makers have landed and are living in your pots. We are all doomed!

Of course, maybe it is just some soil that is leaking out of the drainage holes into the trays. Fungus gnat larvae? They live in the top layer of the soil and only leave when they have developed wings and can fly out.

Have a drink and forget about the dootie (!!) trails, but call me right away when the Martians land!

Will
by weezie13 on March 15, 2005 04:58 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Too funny!!!

I was going to ask, where are your pots?
Outside??
Would they be worms???? [dunno]

What do the dreaded "little dooties" look like???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Amy R. on March 15, 2005 05:42 AM
weezie, thank you, Most of my plants are inside. The plant in question is actually sitting on the rim of a water tray(is that what they are called, that doesn't sound right?)so there is a space between the pot and a tray, if that makes sense. Hence there is ample room for alien creatures to burrow up and leave their little dootie tracks behind! You know how when worms dig a hole in the soil and leave that funny, coiled dirt behind them? That is exactly what this dooty looks like.

by Cricket on March 15, 2005 09:59 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] So that's what those tracks are called - dootie tracks!

by Amy R. on March 16, 2005 02:42 AM
In all seriousness, the term dooty is not quite right. What it looks like is worm casings! I picked up a teeny tiny grow pot today, and sure enough, there were 1/16 OF AN INCH little dooties. WTH? Is it really just dirt falling out of the drainage holes, because that is the weirdest looking dirt I have ever seen? And I swear on my last cold beer, that I saw a FUNGUS GNAT fly out of the bottom! [nutz]

by Will Creed on March 16, 2005 04:50 AM
Amy, you crazy lady please come back! Who else will entertain us with dottie comments about dootie trails?

I beg you to return. I will even go to your house and clean up all of the dootie trails if you promise not to abandon us.

I will also withdraw the complaint I filed with the Forum Queen about your use of offensive language (d**tie) on this post.

Please, please, please, Amy!

Will, The Beggar
by sachis2112 on March 16, 2005 11:45 PM
Way to go, Will.... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Besides, Amy, we all know that gardeners are obsessed with dootie.... [lala] [lala]

So, if you mention compost and Weezie comes around to post, does that mean Amy will come if we mention dootie?

-
by weezie13 on March 17, 2005 02:49 AM
Did [Smile] someone [gabby] say [gabby] compost?????

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by sachis2112 on March 17, 2005 07:17 AM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Do you do a daily search for that precious word?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
by Amy R. on March 25, 2005 12:11 AM
Okay, this one is for all those Dootie-Doubters out there! I realize this is a horrid picture, but that's all my cheesy Kodak will give me. I know that it just looks like dirt, but I swear on the grave of my recently departed African Mask, that it is dootie casings!
 -
by Cricket on March 25, 2005 01:40 AM
Ummm...won't dootie casings add nutrients to the soil? [dunno]
by Will Creed on March 25, 2005 04:59 AM
I suspect mice, roaches or wolf mites.

Will (Not on duty) Creed
by Cricket on March 25, 2005 05:07 AM
Will, do you ...ummm...have multiple personalities? [Big Grin]
by weezie13 on March 25, 2005 05:13 AM
Will,
quote:
Will (Not on duty) Creed
Shouldn't that be Will (Not on "dootie") Creed???

[Wink] [Big Grin] [Roll Eyes]

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Will Creed on March 26, 2005 04:16 AM
Weezie,

Thank you for that spelling correction.

Will The Careless

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: