The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Now I've Done it!!! This poor Fittonia!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Now I know lol.| Next thread: now what? »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on February 20, 2005 06:57 PM
Figures I would go and do something stupid like this while Will is gone. I've been having a problem with Springtails in the plants I've been plantsitting, so, as Will suggested, I removed the loose soil from the top. Well, as I was doing this, I found lots of really yucky stuff in there. Lots of bugs and other stuff that I don't even want to describe. So, I guess I got overzealous and I decided to leach it (I think that's what it's called)-I took the plant completely out of its soil, down to the bare roots, which I rinsed all the extra soil from. I then repotted it in a nice, clean mix. Well, not even a day later, and one of the stems is flopped over and kind of soft, and several of the other stems seem to be getting soft. I was thinking of maybe taking some cuttings before it's too far gone & try to root them, but I didn't know where to cut-above or below a node, and everything I've read says I should wait until Spring. I've got 3 1/2 months until my friend comes home-is there any hope? [dunno]
by Amy R. on February 20, 2005 07:23 PM
run for the hills! ah, just joking, i'm sorry to hear about your friend's plant rozy. fittonias are incredibly easy to root, from my experience. and i do believe you can cut them off anywhere, although i prefer to keep mine about an inch or two long. you can dip it in rooting hormone, or i just stick it in some water for a week or two, and voila, it's ready to go. that said, i think fittonias are fussy little plants that require a lot of humidity, so try to baby your cuttings while they are getting going.
hope that helps, and i hope Will gets back ASAP!!

http://tinypic.com/1scnkj
by rozy221 on February 20, 2005 10:44 PM
Thanks Amy! Propagating sounds promising-I just hope they're not too far gone already. Every time i check in on the plant today, it's drooping more and more. I'm going to try to do the cuttings as soon as I'm done writing. Hopefully that will work, otherwise, does anyone know where I can find a 5.5" red fittonia? Maybe she'll never know? lol [angel] Wish me luck-I'll keep you posted. I'm sticking with the potatoes for the other 2 plants-dh thinks i've totally lost it, but that's ok-hope it works!
by Amy R. on February 21, 2005 01:11 AM
hey again rozy,
i had the exact same thing happen to a philodendron; it got progressively worse once i noticed it, until it died. =( so listen, take action! cut them right this second, even if they are short, and hopefully you will be able to turn the tide. i'm sure it was a pre-existing condition, so just pretend you are really doing your friend a favor by saving it, lol!
ooh, and a red fittonia, i've only seen green ones, i'll keep an eye out for you just in case! [Wink]
good luck rozy...
by Amy R. on February 21, 2005 01:21 AM
oops, one more thing...the potato slices really work, just don't forget to throw them away like i did. then not only will you have the bugs, you'll have nasty rotten tatie slices AND your dh will think your nuts! [Big Grin]
by rozy221 on February 21, 2005 02:44 AM
LOL!!! Thanks for the tip Amy! That's #1 on my to-do list for tomorrow! I just checked the taters and they look pretty yucky-no time now though-gotta put the kids to bed in time to watch desparate housewives. I snipped the fittonia ealier and I have all the cuttings on the bathroom window sill. This is where I had the plant, as it's the most humid spot in the house---here goes nothing!! Thanks for all your help!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Now I know lol.| Next thread: now what? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: