The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Quest for a bird of paradice is complete!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Queen Anne's Lace (The wild carrot)| Next thread: Question »
Back to Thread index
by Nako on May 24, 2004 09:06 PM
Yay ^.^
I was searching around at work, and i saw a giant Bird Of Paradice twice my height (about 10 or 11 ft tall lol). I've wanted it for a long time, but it won't fit in my car lol. I've been searching around the tropical greenhouse for weeks now >.< And today i finally found em ^.^ an entire table of Orange Birds of Paradice! *hops* i'm so excited! it came 3 in one pot, so i'm gonna separate them out of habit >.o but i'm only gonna separate one from the collective. The other two i'm gonna give to one of my friends when i give his jade back. So that'll be coolios ^.^

Sooooooooooooo this thing's a lil less than a foot tall. What do i got, like 10 years before it flowers? It seems easy enough to take care of ^.^

M'kay, thunder and lightning. i'll close this and shut off my computer lol.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by catlover on May 24, 2004 09:31 PM
You can do a forum search on Bird of Paradise...or key in B.O.P...etc. I believe Bill has a write up in his collection as well. I know there have been a lot of conversations about your bird. Remember at least in California they are grown outside! So some references might be indoors others outdoors.
Catlover [kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Nako on May 25, 2004 01:31 AM
yay storm's over for now ^.^
Thank you catlover! lotsa help found there [Smile] i even found a pdf file (adobe acrobat) online that i printed out ^.^ lotsa information. I didn't know plants could propegate by dividing naturally right down the middle like that o.O

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by catlover on May 25, 2004 02:32 AM
Keep us updated on your new found babies!!!
[kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Nako on May 25, 2004 05:54 AM
Alllllllll separated ^.^
They are all lookin good, and almost potbound in their new pots. i left the big one in its original plastic pot, along with most of the slow release fertalizer. The medium one i put in a new clay pot with some fresh bone meal, and some of the slow release fertalizer. The little one is lookin a lil flopped over, but i'm sure it'll stand up and start growing again in a few weeks or so ^.^ Its in a small pot with miracle gro potting soil. I'll have to get some more bone meal and slow release stuff for that one.

The roots are so fleshy o.O i didn't think they'd be that big. I have another plant that grows in the same fashion, only its roots are like other plants. I donno what that plant is though. I'll get that one on here in a lil while ^.^ Its growing very well. With my luck, it'll probably be a different species of BOP lol.

Anyway, If the lil one lives, i'll keep that one. If the other two live (i'm sure they'll all live) i'll get them to some of my friends... or i might just keep em ^.^ they're so pretty, even without their flowers!

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by catlover on May 25, 2004 06:06 AM
Nako...I don't know about houseplant BOP like I said earlier.... and I would check with others to see if what I am saying next is appropiate for indoors....but I have seen many newly planted BOP leaves strapped up loosely "outside" so they don't flop on their sides after transplanting. Make sure you get others advice on that one....as I don't know if it would mess with the photosynthesis process in the house since it doesn't get as much light.??????? [dunno]

Anybody else have advice on flopping leaves of newly planted BOP in the house???
[kitty] [dunno]

-
 -
 -
by Nako on May 27, 2004 07:16 AM
Oh, well i wouldn't worry too much about it ^.^ all the plants i repot get floppy leaves for about a week before they stop freakin out about their new home lol. The begonia my mom gave me started out as a cutting stuck in water. The roots got huge in the water, and she gave me a pot and soil and told me to pot it. That's the 3rd plant i got ^.^ After i did that, the leaves started dying, and getting holes, but pretty soon, a new leaf popped out of a pod, and another, and then a flower, with a leaf, etc. and now the thing is the biggest plant i have right next to my Ficus. It started out with 3" leaves, and now each leaf is almost 18"!

So far the only one flopping over is the little one. And i think it was like that while it was still with the others. its probably just like that because its still a sappling (no more than 3 months old) and is still gaining strength to hold its leaves or something. Thanks though ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by catlover on May 27, 2004 05:49 PM
Wow...sounds like you have a real green thumb!!!!
[thumb] Good Luck and keep us updated...just attach to the end of this thread... that way other gardeners learn from your experience.
[kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by Nako on May 28, 2004 01:16 AM
Been a good 3 days now, and none of them seem very phased by the split and repot. So i brought the big one over to my mom's house and presented it to her. She loves it [thumb] She said she always wanted a plant with giant leaves. Well i think she's gonna get a pretty plesent surprise in a year or so when it flowers ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Will Creed on May 31, 2004 03:58 AM
Phoebe,

I hate to rain on your parade, but it is very rare for a BOP to bloom indoors, even when placed in a sunny south window. Indoors, they are used as foliage plants.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Queen Anne's Lace (The wild carrot)| Next thread: Question »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: