The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

money tree loses its leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by kathyblairs on February 07, 2005 01:37 AM
I have a really big money tree with a braided trunk that has all of a sudden started losing leaves stem and all they turn yellow and fall anyone with an idea? i'm usually pretty good with my plants
by Barb Illinois Zone 5 on February 11, 2005 03:52 AM
Hi, Kathy!
I've checked many of my reference books for a plant with the common name "money tree" but find no entries other than for the "money plant" or Lunaria. [dunno] Can you post a picture or give the Latin name of your plant? Perhaps then I could help.
Barb [Wink] Zone 5

-
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
"WHOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!"
by Amy R. on February 11, 2005 07:12 AM
oh dear, i have always wanted a money tree, but from what i've read on the forum, they are quite the temperamental plant. try googling Pachira, i think that is there latin name, or search the archives here on the forum. i know i have seen a ton of posts on them.
sorry to hear about your tree. hope you can nurse it back to health!
by linlin on February 11, 2005 10:08 PM
Hi, Barb

I think that the money tree is called Pachira. I have one money tree and the tree is having the same problem. That is how I found this forum since I am looking for the reason and how to save it. Please help.

Linlin
by Will Creed on February 12, 2005 06:55 PM
Hi Kathy,

Pachira aquatica is a recent introduction that has suddenly become very popular. It has not yet proven itself as a hardy and reliable potted plant and it may never. It can be quite tempermental and is not forgiving of temporary lapses in care.

It should get lots of very bright light with protection from more than a couple of hours of direct sun each day. An east or north windowsill would be good.

Watering depends on how it is potted. If it is quite potbound, then the soil should be kept moderately moist, allowing only the surface of the soil to dry in between waterings. If it is not potbound, then allow the top quarter of the soil to dry out before watering. Make sure it is potted in a pot that has drainage holes.

Keep it as potbound as possible and fertilize very sparingly or not at all.
by kathyblairs on February 18, 2005 05:14 AM
thanks will and every one else who took the time to reply have not been here in a couple of days but so far my plant is doing sooooo much better and lost no more leaves. kathy

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: