The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Braiding Houseplants??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Braided schefflera| Next thread: Branches Grow UP?? »
Back to Thread index
by myndful on November 03, 2006 02:10 AM
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me with this crazy idea I have...

We're getting married on New Year's Day. We would like to do a Unity Braid Ceremony, so that my son is included in the wedding. I thought it would be really cool to use a houseplant and some silvery cord for the braid part of it, then wrap the braid around a heart-shaped form.

So...my dilemma is, what kind of houseplant to use? I know Ivy is a traditional wedding plant, but I don't like the look of most kinds. Are there any unusual, hard-to-kill houseplants that you would recommend? The vines would need to be pretty long for this idea to work...

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 09:10 PM
Purple Passion Plant is a nice vine for topiary. So is Pathos. Just to mention a few. Araibian Jasmine is a traditional wedding vine also and it has a lovely smell. Best Wishes on your wedding.

-
 -
by loz on November 05, 2006 08:27 AM
I don't have much insight here, but what a neat idea. [thumb]
by dodge on November 06, 2006 09:31 AM
Sounds good to me.
Good Luck in your marriage. [Love]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by myndful on November 06, 2006 07:39 PM
Thanks, everyone...

I think we're going to go a little bit different than what I originally envisioned. The new idea is to do the braid with silvery rope, with wire inside it, and then form it into a circle or heart - then plant it into a pot of ivy. We'll still have the "traditional" ivy, and the unity braid, but I feel a bit safer about it lasting...

http://myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com
by gomerp618 on November 12, 2006 08:01 AM
I think pothos would be good for this too.. mine have grown to have like 5 foot of plant hanging from them and stand up to my cats and everything.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Braided schefflera| Next thread: Branches Grow UP?? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: