The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

poorman's terrarium

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Poorly Aspidistra| Next thread: poplar trees are dying, why? »
Back to Thread index
by FlyTrap on February 13, 2005 05:41 AM
hey guys,
today i got a venus fly trap thats fairly small, young and tiny. so anyway, my house isnt exactly the ideal greenhouse that i wish, especially my room (dark, and cold, and has my kitty [kitty] ) sso, i was thinking of a terrarium to house this little homie. I cant think of a tray i could use cuze im not that smart. i was thinking of using saran wrap as a wall (cheap, easy, if it breaks, no big deal) i will use legos as a frame (most unusual but itll work) and lay the saran wrap over it. my problem is that i need an idea for a tray that'll be deap enough to hold everything. i am reading all the instructions here
so i know what to get to put in, i have a water system in mind but its in no way complete. the pump will be handworked and will be cool to see. so any ideas fo r atray would be cool. if you have any idea of a better material that would be cool too.
by Cricket on February 13, 2005 06:48 AM
Hi again, FlyTrap!

Your idea of setting up a terrarium is a good one - your flytrap will happy in high humidity.

Do you plan on putting several plants in the terrarium or just one or two? If you want to make a small terrarium, you can use things like a goldfish bowl or rose bowl, which can usually be purchased inexpensively at Wal-Mart or a Dollar Store.

For a larger terrarium, pet stores often sell cracked aquariums at a discount.
by FlyTrap on February 13, 2005 06:58 AM
i plan on a couple of plants, 3 at the most. i was leaning more twards a tray thats deep so i could make a little house desgin so i could use my water system. does lowes carry everything i need liek rocks and such? thanks, cricket, for posting in almost all my topics (kinda like a stalker [scaredy] j/p)
by Amy R. on February 13, 2005 07:08 AM
hey there,
empty wine jugs work great as well; i have a ton at my house if you need one. [Big Grin] but cricket's ideas are spot on, or thrift stores sometimes have cheap, unusual glass bottles. i love terrariums--show us pics when you have it all figured out!
by FlyTrap on February 13, 2005 09:42 PM
today i went to the dollar store and picked up a vase that has a big mouth for easy work. im on my way to completion. now i have to develop a new watering system [tears] oh well.
by Will Creed on February 14, 2005 05:21 AM
Hi Fly,

A word of caution with your Flytrap. It has to be planted in sphagnum moss, not soil and it has to be watered with very pure, mineral-free water.

Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Poorly Aspidistra| Next thread: poplar trees are dying, why? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: