The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Plant or soil odor

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Plant Lights| Next thread: Plant Pronunciation Guide »
Back to Thread index
by RickM on February 06, 2005 05:36 AM
I'm a newbie with plants but I have noticed that both my indoor plants stink. Am I overwatering them to cause to odor or root rot? I water them every three day. Should I dump them and buy new ones? They're only simple vine plants.
by Cricket on February 06, 2005 11:11 AM
Hi, Rick! [wayey]
Welcome to the forum!

What kind of plants do you have? Do they look healthy? Has the odor only started recently? What kind of an odor is it?
by RickM on February 06, 2005 04:40 PM
Hi, it's a epipremnum type of plant that grows with long vines that hang down. I've had then now for 3 months but never noticed any odor until a few days ago. I can smell it from 3 feet away and smells bad. I think it's coming fron the soil. I'm baffeled as to why the odor. Must be due to overwatering them but the plants themselfs look real healthy.
by Will Creed on February 06, 2005 06:05 PM
Hi Rick,

Overwatering often leads to root rot and some plants have a strong odor when the roots rot. Pothos generally does not have that odor. But proper watering matters, anyway.

First, make sure that the pot has drainage holes so that water can run through. Otherwise, excess water can acumulate in the bottom of the pot and produce a sour odor and rot the roots.

Second, water your pothos only when the top quarter of the soil feels dry. This will prevent overwatering.

Soil quality may be related to the odor. If you are using compost or outdoor garden soil, then there may be contaminants that create an odor. Indoor plants should be potted in soilless, peat-based potting mixes.

Adding food substances to plants can also cause odor problems.
by RickM on February 06, 2005 11:43 PM
Thanks Will, checking my pots they only have one drain hole in the bottom that sits on a tray. Perhaps I have the wrong type of pots. The pot sits flushly on the tray so I don't see how the pot will drain if overwatered. I have changed the soil so we'll see what happens now. Probably the same thing in time if the pots are the problem. Thanks for your help...just a beginner at this.

Rick

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plant Lights| Next thread: Plant Pronunciation Guide »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: