The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

what's this in my christmas cactus??

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by MissJamie on February 05, 2005 08:01 PM
hey folks! I was doing the dishes a few minutes ago and noticed that my christmas cactuses (I have 2) are starting to have little tiny sprouts coming out of the soil. i don't have any other plants around them except for one that i'm trying to root but there's no way that there could be anything falling off of that and onto my cactuses. does anybody know what it could be?? these are the only plants in my house! thanks!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by weezie13 on February 05, 2005 08:51 PM
MissJamie,
How long have you had the plants?

Some of time you'll find little surprises' from other plants, unrelated to plants in the pots from where they came from in the first place....
Like in the store you bought it...
or the nursery or green house it orinally came from...
Another plant hanging over and drops a seed in the soil, or in the wind thru the greenohouse, or a passer by in the store...

And sometimes, might lay dormant for a little bit until the seed gets un covered by water, or even covered.. some seeds need covering, some don't.
Certain conditions are met and they germenate.

You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Barb Illinois Zone 5 on February 05, 2005 10:37 PM
[thinker] Here's a thought...you were doing dishes when you noticed the sprouts; that means the plants are also in the kitchen, right? Could you have accidentally scattered some herb or seasoning that fell into the soil? I'd be tempted to let the sprouts mature a bit to see what they might grow into; perhaps you have the start of an herb garden, lol!

-
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
"WHOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!"
by MissJamie on February 06, 2005 01:02 AM
weezie-nope i'm sorry but i don't have a picture i may have one soon though because i'm trying to save up for a digital camera but it may be a few weeks or so till i get it but anyway i got it at lowes like maybe a couple of weeks or so before christmas and i've had it since then. i'm gonna keep the sprouts in the plot and try to keep them alive to see what they come up to be lol.

barb-nope nothing has been spilled in them...no herbs or anything but i will keep them in there with my cactuses and try to hopefully be able to figure out what they are...thanks for the help!

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: