The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Companion planting

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Companion gardening?| Next thread: Companion Planting »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on January 29, 2005 01:16 PM
My jungle is beginning to take over and I'll soon have to move to a larger house to accomodate it! Meanwhile, has anyone had success with different plants sharing the same pot? Any suggestions?

Cricket
by catlover on January 29, 2005 01:34 PM
Jungle...wow, cool. I love to see homes with lots of plants. We need this little guy to have a green thumb!!! [thumb]

Hmmmm....I only have a few together THUS far. [Roll Eyes]
* Dracena tree type, with ivy.
* Dracena with golden potho's vine.
* Peace lily with golden potho's vine.
* Peace lily with a variegated ivy.

I could probably do a lot of my cactus that way but I like to plant them outside after they get bigger so I don't combine them....well as of yet....but you are giving me some inspiration. It would sure cut down on the amount of time watering....but that may lead to buying another plant to put in it's spot....you know those bare spots have to be filled. [Roll Eyes] It is kind of like SOME OF YOU with those flat spots on your office desks... [Big Grin]

Catlover [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Cricket on January 30, 2005 12:35 AM
Catlover, Dracaenas and ivy or pathos sounds sooo pretty...do you have any photos?

quote:
but that may lead to buying another plant to put in it's spot
Have you been peeking into my mind?! (Er, excuse the mess!) [Big Grin]
by rozy221 on January 30, 2005 04:15 AM
Ya, it's definately been a long winter. I too have started experimenting with mixed pottings. My sister in law inspired it actually. She's got tons of mixed pots-a lot with crotons, one with a wandering jew, i think. I tried a banana croton with a red ardisia and a corpus aralia. They're all small little starter plants. I could be totally off here, but they all like pretty much the same conditions and can grow to considerable sizes. I would love to have a miniature jungle in a pot someday! I still haven't gotten my cam going, but someday soon I hope to post a pic. Good luck cricket!
by Amy R. on January 30, 2005 04:49 AM
What an interesting post. A friend of mine just planted a baby croton and a baby schefflera together, and while I thought it was odd at the time, after reading your posts it makes sense, especially for water conservation.
Have you guys ever read that book Carrots Love Tomatoes? I wish there was something similar for houseplants as I could definitely benefit from companion planting...too many plants!!!
by Carly on February 04, 2005 07:53 AM
I combined some of my coleus with the two geranium pots. Don't know if they're doing that good together, but neither died.

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Cricket on February 04, 2005 09:24 AM
Croton with Dracaena

-
by suzydaze on February 04, 2005 05:00 PM
everything I have inside is sharing a pot, unless the pot was too full to share.

anything and everythign I swapped for is sharing a pot with what I already had in the house.

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Companion gardening?| Next thread: Companion Planting »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: