The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

When does an ivy need to be transplanted?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: When do you cut back Roses?| Next thread: when does garlic split? »
Back to Thread index
by A Girl Named Kate on October 05, 2006 07:06 AM
Hi,
When I bought my ivy I asked alot of questions, and no one mentioned anything about transplanting. Now it's dying...could this be the cause?

Please Help!
by Jiffymouse on October 05, 2006 10:20 AM
if it is dying, then the reasons could be many. first, is it a true ivy (hedera) or is it a vine that is mislabled/called ivy such as pothos or philodendrun?

next, is the soil wet/dry/compacted?

are the roots mushy/healthy/rootbound?

are the leaves falling off brown wilted or brown brittle?

the reason i am asking all these questions is that the answers can tell us what might be wrong. too much water, too little water, needs repotted, over fed, not enough light, too much light, etc.
by joclyn on October 05, 2006 10:46 AM
if you could post a picture of it, that would be helpful, too [Smile]
by A Girl Named Kate on October 05, 2006 02:55 PM
When I bought it, the girl said it was an English ivy, but I've looked at pics. & I'm not sure. The leaves are the same shape, but smaller. It has small light green leaves with white around edges. The soil is compact in pot, the leaves are dry, brittle, & brown. It's not getting direct light, but I was told it didn't need it. The leaves are not falling off. I have no idea what the roots are doing. HELP!!!
by Jiffymouse on October 06, 2006 10:47 AM
ok, it is probably a variety of english ivy. hedera helix. there is a type that has that coloring to the leaves.

now, is the soil dry? have you fertilized it? If you haven't don't.

sounds like at the very least some "cultivating" is in order, and you might need to soak it good to get the compacted soil to loosen.

after you soak it good, then drain it well, take a chopstick or skewer and poke it in the soil, wiggle it, poke another place, wiggle, and keep doing that till you have lots of "holes" "stirred up". this will areate the soil and loosen it.

in the meantime, cut the brown areas off. they aren't helping your plant and are depressing you! cutting them won't hurt.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: When do you cut back Roses?| Next thread: when does garlic split? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: