The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ivy Dying

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ivy cuttings| Next thread: Ivy Geranium Question HELP! »
Back to Thread index
by MeggieQC on October 03, 2006 10:28 AM
Hi everyone
I have had this Ivy for almost 2 yrs now and I left on vacation for 3 weeks. My boyfriend watered it while I was gone (he watered once or twice) But now it's dying.(it doesn't need a lot of watering, I re-potted it like 6-8 months ago)

Anyways, the leaves on a branch start to wilt (it becomes all droopy) and then the stems and leaves turn brown and eventually fall off. It doesn't turn yellow thought and the leaves turn brown from the middle not from the edges. I've looked for pest etc... I've cutted all the bad branches, im now left with 3 branches.This was a really nice and thriving plant [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]

any idea what could be wrong???

Thanks in advance
by Jiffymouse on October 04, 2006 12:57 AM
pull it out of the pot and check the roots. if you have chance of saving it, you will need to put it in dry soil, (it really sounds like root rot), and water sparingly until it gets better.

the roots should be the consistancy of a potato (only the thickness of spaghetti or so) and about the same color. (whitish). if they are black or mushy, rinse them well to remove the damaged area, then repot.
by MeggieQC on October 07, 2006 11:18 PM
HI Jiffy
I should have been more specific when I said i re-potted it. All I did is take out some of the old soil put new soil in and added a little more (there was room in the pot for it) But I left it in the same pot. Could that still cause a root rot.

Anyway, I pulled it out of the pot, and the roots of the branches that are left are white, I would pull out the branch as they died. I removed a lot of soil and put rocks at the bottom and left a little bit of soil because there are only 3 branches alive and I think they don't need this big pot for them. Plus I didn't have any other pot.

Thank you for taking the time to answer. Im trying to make new cuttings out of the good branches, so hopefully it will survive
by Jiffymouse on October 09, 2006 12:39 AM
sounds like you did what was best. the white roots on the survivors sounds good. and each time before you water it, do two things. first, tip the pot to see if any water runs out, with the rock on bottom, you may get some stagnat water (if the pot doesn't have drainage holes), and second, stick you finger in the soil to the first knuckle. the sould should be dry. if it is moist still, don't water it.

sounds as if you are on your way!
by MeggieQC on October 11, 2006 04:00 AM
Thanks Jiffy

I don't like to see the plant like this, but I like the challenge of having to bring it back you know.

Also I have another question, I plan on moving 24hrs away in the spring. Im going to buy shades for the plant in the car and will have the AC going. Is there anything else I should do?

thanks a lot again
by SpringFever on October 11, 2006 04:14 AM
It sounds like you are doing what you can Meggie! I am sure the plants will suffer some stress ,due to different temps and such but should jump back pretty quick!! Where do you plan on moving?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by MeggieQC on October 11, 2006 08:30 AM
HI
Yeah That's what I thought: they are probably going to get stressed from the trip.

I am moving from Florida to New hampshire or boston in the spring of 2007.

Thank you for your time

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ivy cuttings| Next thread: Ivy Geranium Question HELP! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: