The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

plant identification

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Plant ID needed| Next thread: Plant identification help »
Back to Thread index
by susang on October 03, 2006 01:53 AM
I used to have this plant years ago. Somebody left it outside of the greenhouse my mom would work at during the summer, her co worker was going to throw it away because she thought it was ugly, but my mom brought it home for me. It didn't survive once my sister learned how to walk. The problem is I haven't seen one like it since then and have no idea what it's called. It looked kind of like a jade plant, but it was more viney and had a gold tint to it. When it would bloom it would send out one really long vine that would hang down and it would just be covered in these tiny crimson red flowers. It grew best in a hot humid environment with dim light. Has anybody else ever seen anything like this?
by DowntoEarth on October 03, 2006 11:52 AM
Can you remember what the flower shape was? Or, if they looked and felt like plastic?
by margaret e. pell on October 03, 2006 09:34 PM
It sounds like it might be some kind of hoya. This site has pics of just about every hoya there is.

http://www.bigislandgrowers.com/ghp/AH.php

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by susang on October 04, 2006 12:43 PM
A lot of those look way to big. The leaves were about the size of nickels and the flowers were kind of a bowl shape and were a little smaller than pencil erasers. The flowers didn't feel like plastic. Here's a sketch of it. Sorry about it not being real detailed.
 -
by gardeningmomma on October 04, 2006 07:27 PM
I wonder if it could be a goldfish plant?
by melcon6 on October 04, 2006 07:39 PM
I think we just got something similar at the greenhouse where I work. I will check when I go in next, but I'm kinda laid off, things are slowed down as you can imagine, but I still go in sometime this week.

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by susang on October 05, 2006 11:57 AM
Looks nothing like the pictures of the goldfish plants I looked up.
by melcon6 on October 05, 2006 08:57 PM
I haven't been in to check yet, just looking online for you, could it be SENECIO JACOBSENII, which is sometimes called "hanging jade"????

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Plant ID needed| Next thread: Plant identification help »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: