The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How to top a massangeana?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Bounce847 on January 19, 2005 06:24 PM
My dracaena has grown very tall, to the point that it cannot stand on its own any longer. I would like to cut the tops and replant them, is this possible without killing the plant? Just how does one go about topping a massangeana?
by Jiffymouse on January 20, 2005 02:02 AM
if it is like all the other draceanas i have had... all you have to do is determine the height you want it to be, cut the top six inches (give or take, depending on the height) and make a clean cut with a clean, sharp knife. the put the cut piece in good potting soil, water in well, then water as if it were rooted, and it will root itself nicely!

the side benefit is that the bottom will then send out 1-3 "babies" from the side of the top of the cut part. actually from the last 1-3 leaf nodes under the cut. but the effect is that you end up with more of the plants you are happy with. [thumb]
by Bounce847 on January 20, 2005 02:34 AM
Thank you Jiffymouse! That's exactly what I wanted to hear. This plant has two very long stalks with the leaves on the very end. They are full and lush, but just top heavy now. I love the fact that I can just cut and replant them, AND get new growth out of the cut stalks! If I had known this sooner, I could have taken care of this before it got so out of hand. Thanks again! [Smile]
by Bounce847 on January 20, 2005 02:40 AM
After I sent the last message, I realized I have another question: You say to use good potting soil, but I've never really known what constitues "good". I see lots of potting soil with wood chips and slivers in it and to me, doesn't seem very good as far as absorption would go? So, what is a good potting soil? Tell me the type and I'll go shopping! [Big Grin]
by Jiffymouse on January 21, 2005 02:40 AM
hmmmm.... good potting soil...

well, good potting soil will be kinda on the light side (i usually use miracle grow, but there are others...) with good dark bits in it, and actually some wood chips/chunks won't hurt it. think of it like brown sugar. the good stuff kinda sticks together and will pack, but isn't hard or heavy, but almost "fluffy" and moist feeling. if you have lumps in it, it's ok, but you don't wnat too many or it will not let the roots of your plant develop right.

hope this helps, and maybe others (like weezie) will come along and add to this...
by Bounce847 on January 23, 2005 08:55 PM
Thank you Jiffymouse. Please see my post in "What kind of soil is best?" I love the sticky stuff you refer to, I just don't know how to identify it when purchasing at a store.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: