The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Charcoal in Orchid plants???????????

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Changing offices, what about my plants?| Next thread: Chayote »
Back to Thread index
by dodge on September 07, 2006 05:01 AM
Orchid plants are the topic.

now to repot Orchids.......is the charcoal in the bag at the Walmart or other places.....(Potting soil)........Is that the same charcoal as we would use for our cookouts?

Says on the bag charcoal, and wood chips.. Not very cheap.............
Also what about burn wood ash?? Same difference as charcoal???????????

Help Help dont wanna go broke on one plant..

[dunno] [dunno] [dunno] [Mad]
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by joclyn on September 07, 2006 06:31 AM
charcoal briquettes are not the same as real charcoal!!!

the briquettes are pressed/formed and (usually) have lighter fluid and/or other chemicals added to cause them to burn evenly and longer than real charcoal.

so, depending on what you actually use in your bbq grill - the real stuff or the briquettes, the answer is yes (real stuff) or no (briquettes)...

wood ash, if the wood that was burned is completely free of chemicals, should be acceptable to use. i think - i've never added ash to anything, so i may end up being corrected on that one!

i'm still new to orchids - have had a phal. for a couple of years and just got a den. - so i don't know if putting either charcoal or ash in the pot is a good thing or not...
by dodge on September 07, 2006 06:46 AM
Well what do you use /

I have the moss, spag.......

And that is all i can see in my orchid plant.

dodge

-
 -
by Patty S on September 07, 2006 07:21 AM
Hi Bev & Joclyn! [wavey]

The charcoal that we use for our barbeques is manufactured specifically, to be used as fuel... treated with petroleum products to assist in ignition & long burning.
DO NOT use it as orchid "potting soil"!

Wood ashes will thicken when it's wet (& be sort of like masonry mortar), & will coat the orchid roots, preventing the needed air from getting to them.

"Orchid mix", available in most stores where regular potting soil is sold, consists of redwood or fir bark, coconut fiber, charcoal, lava rock (or a number of other things that will ensure thorough drainage), & is fortified with nutrients specifically beneficial to orchids. Yes, it's VERY expensive, considering that it doesn't seem to come in small bags. (I wish it were available by the quart, rather than in 8 quart bags... which is the smallest I've found. 8 quarts will last FOREVER, unless you've got LOTS of orchids!) [Mad]

If you can't find someone who would care to split a bag with you ...or sell you the amount you need from a bag that they've bought, the only thing I can think of is that you make your own potting media from small pieces of a clay pot. (Not "ideal", but as close as you'll probably get, without the risk of using something that has been sprayed or treated with insecticides or herbicides.) Be sure to use orchid food (only), & follow the directions on the label, closely. ("Less is More" when it comes to feeding orchids, as it's easy to burn the roots with heavy or improperly diluted applications.)

You might want to read what I posted last week, in Jon's Propagating Orchids thread.
quote:
I have the moss, spag.......

And that is all i can see in my orchid plant.

Personally, I would add some (probably not "all") of that moss, in with the chunks of clay pot. Remember, you don't want anything near those roots that will be soggy & prevent aeration.

Good luck with your orchid, Bev!  - (How are yours coming along, Joclyn?) [flower]

Oh! By the way Bev, I did receive the seeds you sent... I've just been so darned busy that I haven't had the chance to drop you a note! (It's on my list, if that counts for anything!) [grin] Now that school is back in, I'm starting to get caught up on things, & will mail your requested seeds off to you as soon as I can.
Thanks!

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 08, 2006 01:03 AM
Hey Barb,

I have one of those bags of orchid mix if you want a gallon zip loc bag of it I could send it to you. It shouldn't cost that much to ship. Let me know. With the move the more things I get rid of the better.

-
 -
by dodge on September 08, 2006 03:24 AM
tkhooper

Ok.....
i will send you some stamps after it arrives.

Gee thanks a million.

dodge

-
 -
by dodge on September 08, 2006 03:28 AM
tkhooper

Ok.....
i will send you some stamps after it arrives.

Gee thanks a million.

dodge

-
 -
by Patty S on September 08, 2006 05:11 PM
Hey Barb... I have NO idea why I called you "Bev" the other day! [Embarrassed] TWICE!  -

I think I'm losing it!  - (By the time I realized what I'd done, it was too late to go back & edit my post!)

Sorry! [kissies]

-
 -
by dodge on September 08, 2006 09:00 PM
patty

LOL
;o)

We all get lost now an then/.......Especially now at swaps.

i didnt know you was talking to me at all.
LOL
Quite alright .glad the seeds arrived.

Barb
aka dodge. [muggs] [tongue] [tongue] [Mad]

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 08, 2006 09:45 PM
Ok I'm going to go to the post office this afternoon and it will be in the mail.

Good luck with your orchid.

-
 -
by dodge on September 14, 2006 08:19 AM
tkhooper

Thanks for the soil........
[clappy] [clappy]

Your postage is in 2maro's mail.

Your'll swell.

dodge [grin]

-
 -