The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Butterfly and Bird gardens| Next thread: Butterfly bush »
Back to Thread index
by Jeffrey Schwab on October 10, 2004 09:48 PM
I have a butterfly bush about 7 feet tall and was planted about 3 years ago. Does this bush require yearly pruning? It looks a little lanky and I was wondering if it should be pruned regularly and if so how?
by sidheblooms on October 11, 2004 12:05 AM
hi jeff!

well..if it is need of a hard prune..dont be afraid..these babies can take a hard prune. you could so it now, or in early spring..it is all a matter of opinion. it blooms on the current years growth, so you dont have to worry about cutting off buds. when you get it to where you like it, prune it every year after it flowers, this will keep it in check. they are lovely..especially when kept from being to high.

when i say you can prune them hard..i mean you can cut them hard..they are very forgiving.

so what color is it?..i think they are lovely, and have seen them in white, pink, purple to almost blue. they smell so good dont they? and they are well named because they attract many flutterbys.

good luck, have fun, and welcome to the group!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly and Bird gardens| Next thread: Butterfly bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: