The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: butterfly bush| Next thread: butterfly bush »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by Chris Millsaps on March 30, 2004 08:35 PM
Howdy all! I have a question about butterfly bushes: I never got around to cutting my bush back this past fall/winter, as I have the previous two growing years, and now it's starting to leaf out. I'm thinking it's too late to cut it back now..? And I'm wondering if I will be able to cut it back next season, without affecting it's blooming?
Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris
by mom54 on March 30, 2004 09:21 PM
I think you can leave the bush for this year. Some people never cut them back, but I find that it makes them leggy instead of bushy.
I cut mine back in Feb. or early Mar., depending on the weather. You might wait a little longer in your area. When I see a little green, then I cut them back.
It won't hurt the flowers next year,as long as the shrub has not bloomed out. That's why I cut in back in late winter.
Don't worry, it should be fine this year. Good Luck!!!!! [clappy]

-
by Chris Millsaps on March 31, 2004 07:13 PM
I know what you mean by looking "leggy"; that's exactly what I don't want. I'll just be happy if it'll still 'bush out' next year, but I'm definitely going to leave it alone for this one.
Thanks, Mom54!
by Bestofour on April 01, 2004 04:05 AM
As long as you dead head it will be fine this year. I'm in the south and I cut mine back a lot. I have two of them and it doesn't seem to cause any damage. If it gets too leggy just dead head not allowing growth other than the flower.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Chris Millsaps on April 01, 2004 06:32 PM
I wish I could say I had thought of that, Sheri, but I'm a little thick! (Perhaps I need pruning?!) I will definitely try that technique, (dead-heading the growth, except flowers), if it begins to get too leggy. Thanks! [thumb]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: butterfly bush| Next thread: butterfly bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: