The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly Bush

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Butterfly Bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index
by patches1414 on August 30, 2006 08:01 PM
I have a pink Butterfly Bush and would like to keep it at a manageable size. So I need to know when it should be pruned back and how much? [dunno] I am in zone 5. Thanks!
by TulsaRose on August 30, 2006 11:18 PM
Patti, I prune mine back to about a foot from the ground in late February, early March. As soon as the weather is showing signs of possible spring but not quite there yet. [Wink] It's about ten years old now and I've managed to keep it about 6' tall x 6' wide.

Added bonus to pruning...you can root some of the softwood cuttings for more plants. [Wink]
by merrillzone5 on August 31, 2006 02:26 PM
I planted a 3 gallon purple Butterfly Bush last year. I let it do it's thing and come around April of this year ,I cut it close to the ground as all of the "stalks" coming out of the ground seemed dead wood. Right now it is flourishing with new blooms as i just cut off the spent blooms last week. Like Patti; I'm also in zone5. It seems to now be about 1.5 times larger than when i planted it. I'm assuming that in time the base will get thicker and woodier as the shrub matures. I have several Caryopteris shrubs(Blue Knight)that are about 7 years old that i cut to the about a foot from the ground in April.I guess you would call it a"2 steps forward,One step backwards" growth process. In time they develop to their maximum height and girth. I'll post some pictures of both this weekend.
[thinker] [Smile]
by plants 'n pots on August 31, 2006 03:41 PM
Patti - I try to do it when TulsaRose said too - late February, early March, before it buds up. Have been doing this for years - sometimes I prune more dramatically than others, but they always come back for me with tons of flowers.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by patches1414 on August 31, 2006 10:18 PM
Thanks a bunch, Rosie, Merrill & Lynne, for all the information! [kissies] It is greatly appreciated! [Smile] I was especially glad to hear from Merrill because we are almost like neighbors in this vast universe of the Garden Forum and I know he has to deal with the exact same weather as I do! [Big Grin] [Wink]

quote:
Added bonus to pruning...you can root some of the softwood cuttings for more plants.
Rosie, this would be a special bonus, IF, I had enough room to plant more, but I don't! [tears]

Merrill, I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures you post of your Butterfly Bush! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 01, 2006 11:37 PM
Patti, a couple of years ago, I took about six of the greenwood cuttings and stuck them in a large container on the front porch (with the intention of transplanting them to the backyard the following spring) and they are still there. [Big Grin] I'll see if I can find a decent picture taken during bloom time...really a Monarch magnet. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on September 02, 2006 04:57 PM
Rosie, mine has been a butterfly magnet too. [Wink] One morning, last year, I was walking out toward the bush and it looked all yellowed. [Eek!] I was shocked because I thought it was dying and it looked okay the night before! [dunno] Well, when I got closer hundreds of butterflies started flying away! What a sight that was to see and what a relief! [Wink] Rosie, I hope you can find your picture because I would love to see it!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on September 02, 2006 11:00 PM
Well, shoot...I couldn't find a decent picture of the container Butterfly Bush starts except one from last year that all the flower heads were already dead.

Due to the drought conditions we had for a year (actually up until this August) a lot of my things didn't bloom this year, including the big Butterfly Bush. It set a few flower heads but they just dried up on the shrub. Waahhhh!!! The container with baby bushes hasn't EVEN made flower heads. Double waahhhh!!!

Having learned a bitter lesson after losing so many plants and observing how affected the others were from the lack of water, I will be more vigilant in the future about providing supplemental water throughout the year, not just during growing seasons.

Patti, if you get an opportunity, please take some pix of your Butterfly Bush, hopefully with Butterflies and I'll live vicariously through yours. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by merrillzone5 on September 05, 2006 02:09 AM
Here are the Butterfly Bush and Caryopteris shrub pictures I said I would post. Caryopteris behaves very much like Buddelia in that you prune it down low to the ground in late winter/early spring and they are late summer bloomers.  -  -  -
by patches1414 on September 05, 2006 01:04 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures, Merrill. [kissies] They are beautiful and I love the Caryopteris. [Love] I'm not familar with that shrub, does it attract butterflies too? [dunno] Geesh, your pink Butterfly Bush is so bright and vibrant! [thumb] You've got a cute dog too! [Wink]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 01:28 AM
Merrill - that is one of the nicest caryopteris I've ever seen - I cannot get mine to get large or full like that! I see you have the lighter shade of blue there - I have the darker one. It does get beaten down by snow from the snowplow each winter... I'm sure that had something to do with how small it is!

Patti - it does attract both butterflies and bees, like the butterfly bushes, but doesn't bloom until this time of year, so many butterflies have left us by now.

Here's a blury picture I took of it just now...
It is bluer than it looks in this picture.
 -

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 06, 2006 02:46 AM
quote:
it does attract both butterflies and bees, like the butterfly bushes, but doesn't bloom until this time of year, so many butterflies have left us by now.
Oh darn, Lynne, [Frown] that's not good! I would have been interested in it for the butterflies, but I've noticed a large decline in my population now too! [Frown] It's that time of the year again! [Frown]

-
 -
by merrillzone5 on September 06, 2006 09:44 AM
To Patti and Plants'n pots; Actually the photo didn't get the colors right for either plant. The Butterfly Bush is a deep purple and the Caryopteris is the " Blue Knight" variety which is sort of a powdery blue. The Cs attracts both butterflies and bees, A LOT OF BEES,which I attribute to the size and health of the shrub.I have 10 of these here and I think the cross-pollination has helped too. This has been their best year and I would like to recommend a fertilizer I tried for all my established shrubs applied in April. It is "Bayer Landscape Tree and Shrub Food" 21-3-10. Lowe's carries it.
by merrillzone5 on September 06, 2006 09:50 AM
TO Patti; thanks for the doggie compliment.Actually ther are two of the little critters. [Smile]
 -
by plants 'n pots on September 06, 2006 09:52 AM
Thanks Merrill - I'll be on the lookout for that!

-
 -
by sue099 on September 23, 2006 06:11 AM
off topic question...
how do you post pictures in threads?

Nature is the art of God ~ Thomas Browne,1635
by joclyn on September 23, 2006 09:48 AM
you need to upload your pics to a hosting site (i use photobucket.com) and then you copy the link that's provided (says IMG on it) and paste it in your post.
by afgreyparrot on September 23, 2006 09:36 PM
joclyn is right! [thumb]

The picture needs to be uploaded to a server. Most everyone here uses Photobucket.
www.photobucket.com
It's very easy. It takes just a minute to join Photobucket, and it's super easy to use...and FREE!

You upload your photo there, then there is a thumbnail of the picture, with 3 lines under it..."Url", "Tag", and "Img".
You just highlight the bottom line (Img) then right-click and copy it, then paste it right into your reply post.

At the top of the thumbnail photos there is an "edit" button, where you can resize your picture. The pictures posted here can't be over 640x480.

If you need any help please let me know.
We are here to help!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by sue099 on September 30, 2006 03:43 AM

I'll try doing that!

Nature is the art of God ~ Thomas Browne,1635

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly Bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: