The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly bushes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Butterfly bushes| Next thread: Butterfly Garden....Indoors »
Back to Thread index
by Ronda on May 04, 2006 07:15 AM
Hi!
I am new to this list and NEW to gardening. I do not have a green thumb, but wish I did. Anyway, we have been in our new home for a couple of years now and I still have not planted anything, but this is the year. I would love to have some butterfly bushes, but I do not now if they would look good in this space and/or how many I should plant in this space.

The area I have is right in front of my home. It is 26 ft long, it extends from my cement sidewalk to my brick front stoop. The width of the area is 6 ft wide. It extends from my cement sidewalk to the front of my house. Windows are not a problem. The garage is on the first floor and there are no windows. My living room is on top of the garage.

I hope this question makes since and thanks for any help or advice.

Ronda

Ronda
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 07:54 AM
Hi Ronda welcome to the forum !!!
Is there anything else at all planted in the area and what type of sun exposure do you have?

With windows are you thinking as for an indoor plant.. ?

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Ronda on May 04, 2006 08:55 AM
I know butterfly bushes can get tall, so I was explaining that they would not block any of our windows in the house.

The area is bare. I looks like a big empty flower bed.
The area gets full sun.

Thank You

Ronda
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 10:25 AM
Ohh Ronda you can pretty much chop em down pretty good every year.. you can keep them as big or small as you want they are forgiving..
are you trying to accomplish a butterfly garden or do you just like the bush?? What colors are you interested in if you want to make it a big garden area?
Rita

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on May 04, 2006 10:31 AM
Rhonda,

You will want a variety of plants that bloom at different times. I would suggest 3-4 butterfly bushes spaced out. Add some evergreens such as hollies, bowwood, false cypress and / or azaleas. Also, for summer color, plant perennials such as purple coneflower, black-eyed susans, daisies. For spring color next year, plant some bulbs along the front edge.

WV has many great perennials growing in waste places that love full sun. Transplant some to your home as you find desirable ones.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by SpringFever on May 04, 2006 10:36 AM
carefull some plants are illegal to take out of the wild..

-
 -
by Karrie on May 04, 2006 03:24 PM
I am not sure if this space is by a door but if so be careful. Butterfly bushes attract bees as well as butterflys. I had one a few feet from our front door......it got to the point where we couldnt go out the door without bees swarming. It was right in front of our water spicket.....Turning on the water was a dangeroud job.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by Ronda on May 04, 2006 10:59 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded. I just "bit the bullet" and purchased 3 butterfly bushes. I am not home that much and when I am I am chasing after a 4 year old. So, I just wanted something easy and colorfull. Plus, I can kill plastic flowers!

I was happy with my decision until I read Karrie's post! UGHHHHH

Oh well, I will hope for the best

Thanks again, Ronda

Ronda
by RugbyHukr on May 05, 2006 03:10 AM
Yes, you cannot remove plants from parks and such. When I mentioned waste places, I was referring to sites such as reclaimed strip mines; pull-offs where green waste & unusable soil are dumped; empty fields behind strip malls; etc.

Also, BOXWOOD not bowwood

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly bushes| Next thread: Butterfly Garden....Indoors »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: