The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Butterfly and Bird gardens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Butterfly| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index
by Mikizinaniisii on May 22, 2004 07:50 PM
How many here put out or have Butterfly and or bird gardens?

What plants do you put out?

I have out all the nectar rich flowers, for the hummers and the butterflies.

For the birds I plant Safflowers, Sunflowers, Niger and Maize or hard corn.

Miki [wayey]
by Chrissy on May 22, 2004 08:12 PM
I put out butterfly & bird gardens every year. I plant all of the nectar rich flowers too. Plus I plant some "weeds" known to be food for catapillars such as milkweed.

-
 -
z5b
by Bestofour on May 22, 2004 10:05 PM
I have two butterfly bushes and have put out milkweed for the last two years. I have an upright verbena that the butterflies love. I also have all types of flowers that they can enjoy. The hummingbirds have disappeared around here. Don't know if it's the heat or the dry conditions. They came, left for a few days, came back for 2-3 weeks, and now I haven't seen one for over a week. I have 5 wren eggs in a nest on my porch.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Mikizinaniisii on May 22, 2004 10:11 PM
I do parrot rescue and have five parrots. However my love for birds goes far beyond the inside birds. I am lucky, don't have to plant milkweed, have tons of it across the road from the house. Living on a mountain top in the middle of no where has advantages to bird watching, and making the landscape presentable and inviting to the wild life. My love for birds goes deeper into all forms of nature, so I spend much time either out in nature or staring out at it when it is to hot to handle outside.

Miki

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Butterfly| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: