The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

butterfly bush.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: butterfly bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index
by Katb on April 26, 2005 04:49 AM
I have a question about my butterfly bush & would be grateful for info I have a bush thats about 5 years old my 2 freinds have 1 that I started from mine their about 2 yrs old , all three bushs seems to have died out I dont understand it. mine is one that has 3 colors on 1 bush I think they were just three little ones put togeather & not grafted it has grown & bloomed so good I always trim it in febuary I just dont unstand what could have happened my freinds live a few miles from me & theirs are the same way does anyone have any Ideas
by Dixie Angel on April 26, 2005 05:22 AM
[wayey] Hello, Katb!

I don't know the answer to your dilemma, but am anxiously waiting for the answers that are sure to pop up. I am planning on planting the three in one, too, at the end of my drive-way and want to know what to do if that problem pops up.

Meanwhile....enjoy the board and have some fun. Someone is sure to have an answer for you.

Dianna

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on April 26, 2005 05:30 AM
Kat - welcome to the forums!

Last year, 5 of my 7 butterfly bushes did the same thing when I pruned them back in February. They never revived after the pruning. I was heartbroken, as 2 of them were several years old. Because of that, I did not prune any back this year until it started to warm up and I could see a little life in them. So far, they are all doing well. I don't know what caused them to do that last year, but I don't think I'll be pruning them in February anymore.

I did have several volunteer plants last year from the originals, and they are doing well this year also. When they get to be a decent size, I'll move them to more appropriate places, but for now I am leaving them where they sprouted so they can continue to grow.

Look around the area where these plants grew, and you might be pleasantly surprised to see babies sprouting up soon.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Katb on April 26, 2005 01:53 PM
Our county extintion aggent told me to prun in feb I,ve always done this I loved my 3in1 bush it was so beuitful & grew so big I,m heartbroke. [tears] but thats gardening for ya I,ll have to try again. I,m glad to have found this board I,m a member of anthor board from a show I like The Lost World I found it almost 3 years ago its a great board a bunch of nice people on there .
by plants 'n pots on April 26, 2005 05:17 PM
Kat - I know how you feel! [Eek!]

I had always been told to prune them late Feb., early March also... but after what happened last year with all that loss, I won't be doing that again. As I said, all of mine are thriving this year so far - the only thing yet to be seen is if I sacrificed any blooms by doing it a little later (the end of March)... [dunno]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: butterfly bush| Next thread: Butterfly Bush »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: