The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

An Idea For TKHooper

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: An H2O Picture show| Next thread: An Idea For TKHooper »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 2 1
by tkhooper on April 09, 2005 06:44 PM
Vegtable Soup
Meatloaf
Mashed potatoes & gravy
Corn on the cob
Zuccini Bread

Strawberry Shortcake with whipped cream

Coffee, Tea or Milk

My meatloaf recipe is in the recipe section and is somewhat unusual since it doesn't use any tomato products at all nor does it produce it's own gravy. Although I suppose you could use the drippings as a base for a gravy I never have. One tip about zuccini bread that makes it better to me is to strain the zuccini to take out the extra juice. I like the zuccini taste to be mild rather than strong and this accomplishes that. The meatloaf can be combined that morning or even the night before and the zuccini bread can be made several days ahead if it will last that long around your house. It won't last long around my house lol.

-
 -
by Merme on April 09, 2005 08:36 PM
So, TK, when you coming over to cook up this stuff? I'll send my attendant shopping and rent-to-own a chest freezer just for the event! Maxi and I will think we've been transported to Paradise with menus on the table as lavish as these!!!

Thanks so much for all the effort you are making on this thread, TK. You really have pointed out many foods and dishes I hadn't thought about before and also have showed ways even someone like me could manage to accomplish them. [thumb]

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 01:11 AM
packing my bag and making an appointment for Scotty to transport me over. [Roll Eyes]
Sorry there still isn't anyway I can travel.

I'm glad you are finding these useful. I enjoy doing them. Right now i'm on my own and don't really cook much and never a full meal.

Here's another simple recipe that can be prep'ed ahead of time

Beef Stroganoff
Egg Noodles
Peas & Perl Onions
Scones & Cream

Coffee, Tea or Milk

This is quick and a way to make stew meat elegant rather than (cheap). Stew meat is so tough that I like to soak it overnight before cooking in a slightly vinegar/water bath. The Scones do require some work but they can be done in the morning and served with preserves then, and the cream at dinner. Of course you can add any herb/spice/flavoring that you like to the scones. They are very versatile. The scones do double duty here as both the bread and the desert items. I usually prepare the plates by placing the meat in the center of the plate the noodles around that and then pour the sauce over both and leave the veggies off to the side.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 01:23 AM
Stuffed Green Peppers
Scalloped Cauliflower
White Rice
Chinese Pancakes
Strawberry Kuchen

Definitely Flavored Tea

I don't blanch my green peppers because I like them to still be crunchie so they can definitely be stuffed the night before no problem. The caulifower can be broken into florets also since the cheese sauce is going to cover any slight browning that might occur overnight. And minute rice tastes just as good as the regular kind. I like the pancakes for this meal because my hamburger stuffing does fall apart somewhat (hehehe) and this makes scooping it up a lot easier. I'm a bit messy.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 01:38 AM
This is good planning for me too. I can still walk around and stand but not for very long at a stretch so I try and break things down into increments. I'm already on wheels when I go to the hospital or home improvement store. The grocery store I can manage because I know where everything is and they have benches to sit on every so often.

Let me know if i've ignored a favorite meat, veggie, fruit, or whatever. Unlike Maxi who is very lucky in his mother. Mine didn't offer much selection and I grew up knowing almost nothing other than corn, green beans, potatoes mashed or baked and fried steak, or hamburger. I was in my thirties when I made my first tuna noodle casserole. I was a "ward of the state" and I wasn't lucky. It has taken over 40 years to find out that I don't have a delicate stomach but I was the victim of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy. Needless to say I was leary of food for a very long time.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 05:34 AM
Kalbasa Slices appetizers
Waldorf Salad
Honey Rye Bread with honey butter (if you can find it in a soft bread stick all the better but hard to find)
Cream Puffs

Pineapple Berry Punch

Note: Another hot day and I don't want to turn on the stove. Kalbasa comes already cooked even if I couldn't convince Frank of that lol. So slice it up and you've done homage to the meat requirement. The real focus of this meal is of course the salad. Everything can be done ahead except the apples I don't like slicing them up until serving time because of the discoloration. If you can find this bread it is marvelous. For the cream puffs the shells can easily be done the night before. And having made the "cream" once I now use instant french vanilla pudding (tastes the same to me and i don't have to stand over the stove for 30 minutes stirring). Now traditionally I know it says to just sprinkle powdered sugar on top but I've just got to have a few chocolate curls as well or I feel cheated. All fruit juice taste better when combined with either 7 up or cream soda or maybe I'm just wierd.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 05:52 AM
OK it's still to hot to cook

Seafood Salad
French Bread with dill,garlic butter
julliene fries
Brie
Fresh Grapes and Figs

Limeade

Note: I prefer my brie raw although alot of people cook it. Yep I'm talking about the cheese. Ok, yes warming up the french bread with the butter spread on it makes it even better ... but it's so hot!!! lol Now depending on if your seafood salad is spicy or bland. You can just do regular juliene fries or spice them up with some cayenne pepper and paparika to give them color.

I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps when I met a woman who did different salads all summer long rather than preparing what the military thought of as dinner meals. It was such a simple idea. And it was much more appetizing in the hot climate where I lived, that I've remembered it to this day.

Oh and guess what ... yep do a head. I'm having a lot of fun doing these. Thank you for making the suggestion. You don't think this is taking up to much room do you?

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 02:40 PM
I think you mentioned you had a crock pot?

Lemon Dill Salad
Bouillabaisse
Dill Bread
Baked Apples

Coffee, Tea or Milk

Note: Remove the lemon rind and slice very thin for this one and I like the iceberg lettuce for this. I don't know if you have a bread maker. If you do the seasoned breads are a real winner. And the machine does all the work. All I have to do is dump the ingredients in, so that it is done baking 10 minutes before serving. Of course buying a thick sliced bread and adding seasoned butter and then warming in the oven works too.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 02:48 PM
Again for the crock pot

Three Bean Salad
Barbeque Beef Sandwiches
Hoaggie Rolls
Rice Pudding or Tapioca Pudding

Beer or Ale

Note: Everything is a do a head. And isn't this a great way to use the leftover pot roast.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 03:01 PM
Cooking with beer and a crock pot lol

Corn Salad
Flemish Carbonades
Egg Noodles or white rice
Sweet Potatoes
Peach Cobbler

Hard Multi-grain rolls
Condiments: Butter, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Ground Cloves.

Cinnamon Java

Note: This meal is heavy so I would plan smaller servings than usual. I like the hard rolls because they are so good for soaking up the gravy. But if they fellows have been working hard outside you could add a little vanilla ice cream beside that peach cobbler.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 03:08 PM
Stuffed Jalapeno peppers
Fajitas
Tortillas
Beans & Rice
Fried Ice Cream

Punch

Note: I love it that they have all the fixings for fajitas pre-packaged now. But it can also be done in a slow cooker.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 03:14 PM
Wilted Lettuce Salad
Knockwurst with Hot German Potato Salad
Corn Bread
German Chocolate Cake

Ice Water and Milk

Note: Again a very heavy meal. Thus the Ice Water. Knockwurst and Hot German Potato Salad can be done in the crockpot. The wilted lettuce can be torn in the morning but you can't add the dressing until just before serving. Corn Bread by jiffy mix is just as good as home made although both are very easy.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 10:20 PM
Beer Batter Fish Sticks
Cottage Fries
Celery & Carrot Sticks, Apple Slices, Fresh Dates, and Cheese Sticks

Coffee, Tea, or Milk

Note: Sometimes finger food infront of the tv is ok if Mom says so. Everything here is super quick and the veggies can be done a head of time so no problem.

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 10:35 PM
Mashed Acorn Squash Soup
Teriaki Steak
Cajun Rice
Fresh Mango cubes

Bailey's cream

Note: This is a cashmere sweater meal. I don't know why it just is. [dunno] After dishing up the soup in individual bowls add a sprinkle of crushed macadamia nuts. Oh by the way I make the soup very thick. For the teriaki steak I like to use very thin strips of flank steak. Cajun rice can be gotten in the box with the spices already prepared, I've just forgotten what they call it. (Do you get mangos in Maine?).

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 11, 2005 06:21 PM
Fruit Salad
Stuffed Cabbage
fucinni(sp) alfredo
Dinner Rolls & butter

Note: more do a heads. lol. But I think I've pretty well used up my stock recipes. Which is a good thing because the refrigerator is full of leftover food. I never have learned to cook for one.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: An H2O Picture show| Next thread: An Idea For TKHooper »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: