The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

butterfly bush seeds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: butterfly bush puzzle| Next thread: butterfly bushes »
Back to Thread index
by Saved by Grace on June 07, 2006 11:20 AM
I just received some butterfly bush seeds in the mail (THANKS gomerp618!!!). I read they are supposed to be started indoors in late winter and planted in early spring. Is there anyway I can get them planted this year or should I just wait until next winter?

Thanks
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by joclyn on June 09, 2006 05:23 AM
i just got some from her too...i was planning on starting some inside - and some outside too. i figure something will start and there should be enough time left weather-wise for them to grow enough to be well established by the time the cold weather hits.

i was planning on saving about half the packet for sprouting in late winter next year (just in case whatever i start now doesn't survive the winter).

i did some googling looking for info specifically for starting butterfly bush seeds. couldn't find any.

so, i'm assuming they don't need special treatment to germinate (like a bit of cold or being soaked or needing heat, etc). if that's incorrect, please, someone, let us know!! [Smile]
by Saved by Grace on June 09, 2006 05:52 AM
Thanks Joclyn! I think I will start my in a few days then. Good idea on only doing 1/2 of the package.

Thanks
Victoria

A vessel of mercy.
by gomerp618 on June 09, 2006 12:57 PM
I just read today something about starting them indoors 8 weeks before the last frost date, then moving them outside in full sun. Space at least 3-4 feet apart.

Sow seeds on surface, provide light and bottom heat.

Happy growing!! I was thinking about getting some started myself.

http://www.veseys.com/sub.cfm?source=493

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!
by joclyn on June 10, 2006 04:17 AM
i've got the perfect spot for them...and i've got a supply of lime too...

thanks, trish!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: butterfly bush puzzle| Next thread: butterfly bushes »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: