The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Venus Flytraps

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: venus flytrap leaves turning black| Next thread: Venus FT »
Back to Thread index
by Amber J on February 10, 2005 10:40 PM
Hi,

I hope I have the right forum for this. I have a few venus flytraps that I transplanted into a terrarium last night. I set it up beautifully, with all the right soil, water, etc. This morning when I woke up, 2 or them were covered in fungus (I think). Hopefully these pictures are clear, but this is what it looks like. It reminds me of when you blow on a dandelion, the white fluffy part that comes off. Anyway, I wanted to know if
a) anyone knows about the care of VFT's, and
b) anyone knows about fungicide.

I was limited to fungicide that did not include insecticide, since they have to eat live bugs. The only 2 I found were Ortho Garden Disease Control, and Bordeaux Powder. The problem is, there are different mixture instructions for different types of plants, and nothing specifically for VFT's. Does anyone know what I should do? (I have since taken the offending 2 VFT's out of the tank, in hopes that they can't infect the remaining 2, until I figure out what to do.)

If I am in the wrong forum, can someone please copy this post onto another one? A couple of them were saying that I didn't have access.

Thanks so muh in advance!

Amber
by Amber J on February 10, 2005 10:41 PM
Whoops! I forgot to include the pictures.

-

-

-

-
by Nako on February 11, 2005 01:46 AM
hmmmmmmmmmm
since they look healthy and green, i would recommend changing the soil, and cleaning up each plant as best and gently as you can. That should get rid of the mold. The mold could be caused by standing water. Are they in standing water? their soil stuff has to be moist, but well drained. So a mixture of sphagnum, sand, and pearlite is recommended.

I also noticed that all ur traps are closed o.O Have you been playing with the traps, or are those traps being fed? each trap can only close up to 12 times, and the entire plant probably catches 1 or 2 bugz a month. So i wouldn't overfeed it, or snap the traps too much >.<

they love humidity, and partial shade too ^.^ they're kind of a boggy plant. *thinks* http://www.pitcherplant.com has a care sheet for them which is pretty helpful too [Smile]

good luck with them!
~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Amy R. on February 11, 2005 07:08 AM
my VFTs did the same thing when i brought them home. i didn't transplant them, but i took the top off so they could eat. immediately, there was mold growing, just like yours, around the soil. i just figured that the change in enviornment allowed the spores to grow. anyway, the mold disappeared after two or three days, and the plant seems to be doing fine. maybe give it time to adjust??? or could you clean it with a cotton swab or q-tip? no offense nako, but transplanting it again so soon seems like it might stress the plant even more. either way, good luck with your plant; it sure looks like a healthy one.
by Amber J on February 22, 2005 03:46 PM
Thanks again, Amy! As you can see, I don't make it to this site often enough. As it turns out, I didn't have enough circulation, which I was trying to avoid because VFT's are humidity lovers. I added the tiniest opening, and now they're fine (after just a day or so). Some of the traps work, some don't. They don't eat too much (unless they're eating the fungus gnats), but they seem to be pretty healthy so far. They're not really in standing water, it's more like the bottom layer is small polished rock, then the medium (is that the right word? or loam?) They are moisture lovers, so there's plenty of water in there, as of last night. Befor I just kept misting the soil, but last night I read that you should be able to pick up a piece of soil, and if you squeezed it, water could run down your arm. So I soaked it (with distilled water of course). Thanks for the website - I'm totally obsessed with these little guys now, if anyone has any advice at all, I'd love to hear!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: venus flytrap leaves turning black| Next thread: Venus FT »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: