The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Venus Flytrap

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Venus Fly Traps| Next thread: venus flytrap leaves turning black »
Back to Thread index
by Wendy Tripp on February 22, 2005 01:36 AM
My plant has been dormant throughout the winter months and is now sprouting long leaves. However, it seems that the ends where the "traps" are located seem very tiny and are getting shriveled up and turning black. This is my first try at this plant and I so want it to thrive! Anyone with any suggestions? [dunno]

"Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?"
... George Carlon
by Amy R. on February 22, 2005 08:56 PM
Hey Wendy,
First off, a big LOL to your signature; I'm from a very small and quaint tourist town where that bumpersticker is quite popular.
On to the traps. Mine just kicked the proverbial bucket, boo hoo. Caught a draft, got sick and died. Hopefully Nako will come along and post, as I do believe she is the VT queen. In the meantime, here is a good link that you might find some useful info on. Good luck!

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/flytrap.html
by Nako on February 23, 2005 07:06 AM
hiiiiiiii!
okay i'm gonna give you the conditions that mine are under right now. Mine is in a terarrium right now as a leaf cutting. its got a small plant growing out of the end of the cutting.

Temperature is between 70 and 80 degrees
Humidity is above 60%

I think the high humidity might help. It helps with pitchers anyway ^.^ The other thing is, what kinda potting mix are you using? I've got live moss growing on a small layer of sand, and underneath that is a buncha long fibered sphagnum moss which has been packed in there pretty tight. It keeps the top soil moist, and it airates the roots, and ya ^.^ its cool!

Good luck with all that [Smile] lemme know if it still bugz ya!

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Venus Fly Traps| Next thread: venus flytrap leaves turning black »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: