The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

venus fly trap

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: venus fly trap| Next thread: venus fly trap »
Back to Thread index
by Ross on April 23, 2006 08:15 AM
my venus fly trap has gone all balck and i'm not sure if it has died please help me

ross
by afgreyparrot on April 23, 2006 08:39 AM
Ross...I know nothing about Venus Fly Traps...I've never had one.

Here is some info on them for you...
Venus Fly Trap

...and I'm going to move this topic down into the Carnivorous Plant Forum so that others here that have them will see this and can help you.

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by TomR on April 23, 2006 01:44 PM
What kind of soil mix are you using? Do you keep the pot in some standing water? Do you trip the traps closed a lot? Have you fed it at all? If so STOP. Do they get enough light? Some traps WILL die back, new ones will grow to replace them.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by Ross on April 24, 2006 07:27 PM
i use house plant compost but i heard that they hibirnate so i'm not sure if its hibnated or died

ross
by Amber J on April 25, 2006 01:41 AM
House plant compost is the absolute wrong soil - VFT's need very acidic soil, which translates into no nutrition. They have evolved to eat bugs since the soil they are grown in has little or no nutrients. This is why you should never fertilize your VFT. With the compost, you are giving it lots of nutrients, thereby overfertilizing it.

Also, hibernation occirs during the winter months, so your plant is past that possibility. Can you include a picture?
by margaret e. pell on April 25, 2006 12:48 PM
Peat and coarse sand 1:1 is the 'soil' you want. Check the other VFT postings and general info sites. It's not necessarilly dead. Maybe you can save it.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by puddingned94 on May 08, 2006 09:11 AM
it is either going dormant or there is not enough humidity

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: venus fly trap| Next thread: venus fly trap »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: