The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hibiscus| Next thread: Hibiscus »
Back to Thread index
by Jerry2000 on December 01, 2004 06:16 AM
Hi,
I'm not very green thumby but I try. I have a new home here in Florida and the builder provided some nice health Hibiscus plants as fondation plants accross the front of the house. The plants are right in front of our windows that reach all the way down to about 28" above the ground. Our maintenance service trims the plants once a month at just below the window hieght level and the poor plants never get a chance to flower. I certainly can request that the maintenance people do not trim the hibiscus plants but then I will have a lot of growth above the window ledge.
My question is "If I cut the plants back to about 12" from the ground will they grow back and flower at a lower level so that I get flowers in the fondation planting instead of just green leaves?"
I appreciate your help....Jerry
by suzydaze on December 01, 2004 02:42 PM
yes you can, I cut mine back to the ground last year becasue the dog ate the top and I figured she had killed it, so I cut all the way back to about 2 inches to the ground and they only got about 2 and half feet tall and was covered with blooms

-
 -
I try to take one day at a time -- but sometimes several days attack me at once.
-Jennifer Unlimited-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus| Next thread: Hibiscus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: