The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hibiscus| Next thread: hibiscus »
Back to Thread index
by Chris Millsaps on March 31, 2004 07:54 PM
I really enjoy this forum! I ask a question, I get an answer. And it's that time of day again, (for me), and here's my question. Do hibiscus' need to be cut back? I did a search on the site and came up with the general care for them, but nothing is mentioned on whether to cut them back or not. I received one as a gift last summer, and haven't done anything with (to) it, aside from putting it in a pot, and fertilizing and mulching.
So, do I cut it back or not?
Thanks in advance for all the advice!
by barbi on March 31, 2004 09:40 PM
I found this in my search and lost the address .. [Mad]

"Can I cut the plant down completely and store it in the basement over the winter?" This is a tricky question. You CAN store hibiscus in a frost free place over winter but be aware that hibiscus don't go dormant.

Hibiscus cultivars

You will still have to water it to keep the soil slightly moist. Also I wouldn't cut the plant all the way back but leave most of the growth unless the plant is simply too voluminous to take in, in which case you could cut it. Do know that your plant will do much better with some light. Although some people winter their hibiscus in a semi-dormant state in their basement it's not something I recommend as having a very good success rate. On the other hand, if you leave it outside it will die for sure!

and of course for our own site: http://www.thegardenhelper.com/hibiscus.htm

-

"To cultivate a garden and grow flowers from the sod is to go hand and hand with nature and walk very close to God.
Helen Steiner-Rice
by weezie13 on April 01, 2004 03:18 PM
Hi Chris,
Can I ask if you know what kind of Hibiscus it is??
There are some that die back to the ground,
***and sprout back up in the spring....
There are some that are a tree form,
***they stay dormant for a long time into spring and one could think they are dead, so don't fret too soon about them.....
and some that are annuals like I guess......
Do you know which kind??

That would help alot with an answer from someone!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Chris Millsaps on April 01, 2004 06:26 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know what type of Hibiscus it is. It did have the most beautiful deep magenta blooms last year - when I got it, it was just about to bloom, and it was just beautiful when it did! Right now, it looks like a stickly 'dead' thing - about two feet high, and several branches as well. Does this mean it is the "tree type" you mentioned, Weezie?
For now, I'll just leave it alone, and see how it does as the season goes on.
And thanks for the link, Barbi. I just wish it stated specifically whether to cut it back or not.
Thanks again, everyone!
Chris
by weezie13 on April 01, 2004 06:34 PM
Well, with the best guess I can give you with out a picture is....
The tree looks like a tree form usually, one gray dead looking stick, straight up with some amounts of branches... Gray colored and very dead looking.

The one type that dies down to the ground will be like a tan colored of some sorts, and basically one looooooooong stem straight out of the ground,
but the staulk is hollow *much the same like a corn stalk??*

Both come back to life VERY LATE, even an experienced gardener will question it sometimes, it's spring here, and the temp's will be color for a while and alot of things are starting tiny nubs, but not the tree form, for many years in the beginning I thought I'd killed it....
Same for the one under ground, it took for ever to finally come out and I had thought, oh, I must not have watered it as much as it liked and I stressed it out and killed it, many thoughts went thru my mind!!!

One thing I did for the tree in learning whether it was still alive is, cut tiny pieces off the end, and if it has a light tan center and a green hue around that just under the bark, it's fine, just still sleeping!!!!

I guess there is annual types too, but I havent's used them??? Dont' know their habits.

Keep watching them and keep us posted!!

Weezie

On the QVC shopping channel, they had a 4 pack for $29.00 or $32.00 something for them, and one was a multi colored one.. FYI!!!!
The Cottage Farms are on all day today, they have a Today's Special, so you can watch it, and Phillip the guy who sells them will give tid~bits' of info on them too!!! QVC

Link here for it's schedule It's on again tonight at 7:00pm~9:00pm....

Renee has hibiscus's too, maybe she'll pop on thru!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Ravensrun65 on April 06, 2004 10:54 PM
Hi Chris,
Can you tell us if it has shiny leaves or are they a bit fuzzy/dull? That will help in determining if they are a "hardy" or a "tropical". Also, how wide were the flowers, and how many petals did they have. If it was somewhat flat(the flower) then it's a single, but if it had a center section that stuck out of the basic five petals, then it's a double. here are some links that may help you find what one you have.
http://americanhibiscus.org/index.htm
http://www.fancyhibiscus.com/
http://trop-hibiscus.com/flnks.html
http://www.hibiscusplace.com/index.htm
Keep in mind, once you look thru these, you may become addicted to them [Wink] There are links on some of these pages that may answer any/all your questions completely!
I hope this helps,
Raven

"I would feel more optimistic about a
bright future for mankind if we spent less
time proving that we can outwit Mother Nature
and more time tasting her sweetness and
respecting her seniority."
by Chris Millsaps on April 07, 2004 08:48 PM
Thank you for the links, Raven. I've been checking them out - very informative! Also, in answer to your inquiry for a description of the plant: the flowers were the 'flat' type, with five petals, 6-7 inches across. And honestly, I don't remember what the leaves were like! [Embarrassed] They were rather large, and that's about it. (I must learn to be more observant!)
But I'm going to continue looking through the links you provided, and hopefully I'll come up with the type that I have.
Thanks again!
Chris
by Renee on April 07, 2004 09:06 PM
Hi Chris, could you send me your eamil addy and I will send a picture of the hibiscus that I have, a large pink flower about 10-12 inches across, shrub form that grows from the roots in late spring and dies to the ground every fall. I also have a hibiscus, but I call it Rose of sharon, that is a large shrub/tree form that doesn't need to be cut down each fall since it just goes dormant. Lemme knwo and I'll send out pictures.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus| Next thread: hibiscus »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: