The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aww Maaan! I didn't know Foxglove was a biennial.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Awesome Bean Dip| Next thread: Azalea »
Back to Thread index
by murphyette on July 12, 2004 07:09 PM
I bought three of them. Are they really biennial. WAH! [tears]

Jody
by weezie13 on July 12, 2004 07:24 PM
Yep, they are,
but have no fear.... You will turn your 3 into 300 (or so) in no time at all!!

When they are done flowering, watch the seed pods, all up and down the stem...They'll all dry out and some may even open up a bit...
Take those and do several things with them.....

What will happen is... when the seed touches soil and sprouts... you will have leaves and that will only stay leaves all through the winter and then come the following season, it'll flower for you...
The ones' the come to get planted early may flower for you the next year, but you will start to get some every year, as the one's that start early leaf out early and the one's that put on the ground late, will then leaf out the following year and you'll have the flowers the next year for that one plant.
I started out with only a couple plants and have quite the number of them now....

You can take the seed and sprinkle them on the ground in a new part of your garden and thin out accordingly... after that..... you can save some and sprinkle in the fall...
or even the spring... *I am not sure if they need some kind of cold temps to be viable... a seed person can help you with that. I just let mother nature do her work here.. and they fall on the ground when they are dry or I take them where I've started a new area, or I find them in all sorts of places as mother nature likes to work wonders as to where she plants them....
Just remember NOT PULL THEM THINKING THEY ARE A
WEED COME SPRING TIME!!!

And what colors did you get???

I had originally got a mixed 6pk and they all turned out to be a pale yellow, I was hoping for
the dark pink because my Granny always had the dark ones, well, after a few years, strangely enough, I have several different colors of them now, the dark ones, a pale yellow and maybe one close to a white. They seem to cross pollenate or something...
They are a pretty prolific reseeder after awhile!!
Good luck and please keep us posted on how you make out with new ones!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Bestofour on July 12, 2004 07:58 PM
I put out some seeds 2 years ago. The first spring and summer I just had these huge plants without flowers. I couldn't even remember what they were but I left them alone. They stayed green all winter, rain or shine. This spring I had the most beautiful flowers. Now the leaves and the flowers have died. I'm hoping that everything will start over.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by weezie13 on July 13, 2004 12:35 AM
Bestofour,
That's what happens, but if you sprinkle some seeds as soon as the pods dry, you'll get the babies to start this season, then save some off to the side until fall time and sprinkle some more in the area's off to the first sprinkling...
What will happen is, the one's you do early get a jump on leafing out and the one's you do second, start to leaf out in the spring, so, you end up getting flowers from one plant or another every season.
I don't have them every other year anymore, it's every year, because you've always got them started for the next season...

And they do take up some serious space too,
with the leaves!!! Good filler's for a large area!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Bestofour on July 13, 2004 03:06 AM
Thanks a bunch. I'll do that tomorrow.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by murphyette on July 13, 2004 02:25 PM
Well, no wI am not so sure I even should have bought them. I don't have a huge space for them, but I wanted something tall. Oh well, I will just have to keep it weeded down to two or three plants in the one area I have them, and maybe up to 6 plants in another area. Maybe I will move my obliesk to another location so they can have the whole corner next year. Right now there is a bunch of morning glory's vining up it, which have had one bloom. [Roll Eyes]
Last year I put in some half dead black eyed susans off the end of season bargain table from the greenhouse. I think it cost me all of 50 cents. I think I have a bunch of foliage from it this year, but no flowers. [tears]

Jody
by weezie13 on July 13, 2004 05:39 PM
Murphyette,
I'd have to say, the base of the plant would be about 2ft wide *24"* or so...
some maybe smaller, some may even be larger!!!

But remember, Black~Eyed Susan's are also biennials too!!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Awesome Bean Dip| Next thread: Azalea »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: