The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help me save my rose

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Mrs.Bradley on October 19, 2006 10:28 PM
my son bought me a potted mini rose for my birthday earlier this week and the stems are turning into dried up sticks, the leaves are turning yellow and fall off VERY easily.I have not seen any bugs on it. but every day it seems to wilt some more.
what could be wrong? I really want to save it,since its a gift from my baby!!

-
 -
by sibyl on October 20, 2006 01:06 AM
could be a few things.
roses that are overwaterd are starved of oxygen, foilage turns yellow and falls off

if yellowing starts from the center of the leaf and outer edges leafs are dieing could be magnesium deficiency , give it some epsom salt,

if leaves are yellow with the principal veins a light green, it could be an iron deficiency, your soils to alkline,, give it some iron sulfate, or iron chelate

from what ya said sounds like maybe you just waterd a bit to much,

-
 -
by sibyl on October 20, 2006 05:16 AM
i found something else in my book
by fall miniture roses have grown tall and leggy. colder evenings produce ill-formed,mottled blossoms and cause yellowing foilage that often starts to fall off,
prune in winter, pruning removes diseased and dead steams/canes
[Wink]
i didnt know you should prune miniture roses in fall, i have tea roses prune em in spring, and old garden rose, prune it after bloom,

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on October 21, 2006 10:10 PM
me too. always out there dead heading.still got blooms all over the place,too.except for perfecta,snowfire,and iceberg.
All of my minis are full of color right now and I'm lovin' it. [Smile]

thanks for the help.I usually do use epsom salts,but didnt know about the iron.
I believe the rose was on clearance so, it had some bad leaves and stuff when I got it maybe that and shock from different environment got to it.
it is still loved just the same,since my baby boy picked it for me. [kissies] that makes it even more special!

-
 -
by sibyl on October 22, 2006 05:40 AM
do you put elmers glue on your cuts when you prune? i do
i got one last bloom on my mrlincoln, hope it surives the cold,

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on October 22, 2006 11:35 PM
usually if its a major pruning,i'll put wax.but just for deadheading,i dont usually seal anything.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 30, 2006 04:11 AM
I use Elmer's glue too, when I prune. I think I first heard of that tip in this great forum.
Mrs. Bradley, did you repot the mini rose? Or is it still in the nursery pot?

-
 -
by Mrs.Bradley on October 31, 2006 06:37 AM
I repotted about 3 days ago,and already it is starting to get a white ring around the outside of the pot. what might cause that?????

also, I gave up and put it outside hoping it would help. keep yer fingers crossed for me. [Smile]

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 31, 2006 10:13 AM
Gracious ! You've been keeping it indoors? That's the problem, right there. Roses are sun lovers-even the minis.
The white ring is only mineral deposits from water. No problem for the plant.
Give the rose sunshine, as much warmth as you can (sun, no wind), keep moist but not wet, and since it's been three days go ahead and give it a mild shot in the arm with some plant food such as Miracle Gro, a weak solution.
Good luck !

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: