The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

MOLES !!! Help please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Moles?| Next thread: Mom's Ficus »
Back to Thread index
by Annell on July 08, 2006 05:52 AM
We have moles and or voles in our yard, what is a good safe way to get rid of them. I would like to just get them to move off, not poison them. I have cats and cats in the neighborhood, I don't want to poison mine or anyone elses cat. What to do??
Thanks

Annell

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
by Zenith on July 08, 2006 12:48 PM
As I don't live where moles are I don't have experience with this however I found this link which looks useful.
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/011112a.cfm
and this, When placing a garden or lawn near a wood or field where moles are plentiful, a 'mole barrier' can keep them out. Sections of galvanized hardware cloth or aluminum sheathing, 3 feet wide, should be buried to a depth of 24". Six inches should be left exposed above the soil, and three inches can be bent forward on the bottom, towards the source of the moles, to discourage them from digging underneath it.
by Annell on July 08, 2006 02:53 PM
Thank you Zenith, I am going to find the Skunk Lilly or Imperial Crown lily and try to plant them. If they work, I will gain 4 new plants in my yard and get rid of pests. That is one of the suggestions on the site you posted. The others I am not going to try because we have neighborhood cats that come into our yard and I love our squirrels that feed in our back yard also.
I was told that if you put oil of peppermint on a cotton ball and put in their holes, they will leave. I am going to try that also.
Thanks again for your help.

Annell

Please Spay/Neuter your Pets.
by kyjoy on July 09, 2006 08:59 AM
Have your yard treated for grubs. Moles feed on them. When grubs mature they turn into Japenese Beetles and you sure don't want them.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Moles?| Next thread: Mom's Ficus »
Back to Thread index