The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Obywan Help please

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Oatmeal Cookies| Next thread: October plant »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on July 14, 2006 03:47 PM
Hi Terry,

The peppers you sent me I've forgotten their names. And one of the ladies from church would like to get some. The peppers are getting huge on the plants. But they are still green. Will these turn red? I've been waiting for them to turn colors and they have gotten 8 inches long and quite fat but are still dark green. The lady asked me if they didn't get pithy when they got this big. Can you help me please?

-
 -
by obywan59 on July 15, 2006 02:56 AM
They are a paprika pepper called Boldog Hungarian Spice. They will get a dark red when ripe and can be dried at that time to grind for homemade paprika.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by tkhooper on July 15, 2006 04:02 AM
Thankyou Terry for saving me. Why I didn't write down their names I'm not at all sure. Normally I try to keep really good records on the garden but that was a bust.

Do you remember where you got them?

-
 -
by obywan59 on July 15, 2006 04:23 AM
I bought the seed from Johnny's Selected Seeds in Maine. Incidentally, the Chocolate Cola peppers you sent me the seed for are recovering from the rabbit attack. The biggest one (only 6 inches tall still) has it's first buds. The rest of my peppers are 1 to 2 feet tall or more. Stupid rabbits!

-
Terry

by tkhooper on July 15, 2006 04:51 AM
Except for the peppers I got from you that are planted in 100 percent compost all of my plants are really small this year. The chocolate cola pepper I have is so short it's hard to keep the pepper off of the ground. The first one is almost ripe. And it is the color of cola. I can't wait to taste it and see how it tastes.

Are the rabbits cute at least? They should be pretty if nothing else if they are going to eat your produce. Or at least that's what I think.

-
 -
by tkhooper on July 21, 2006 10:44 AM
I harvested the first one of these peppers today. It is bright red. And there are another 3 that are turning colors. And a bunch that are still green. Hopefully these super hot days don't kill them off before I harvest.

I noticed that there was very little meat with these peppers. Is that the way it is suppose to be? It certainly will make drying them easier.

And while I'm on the subject. Which method of drying do you use for peppers?

-
 -
by obywan59 on July 22, 2006 03:50 AM
I've noticed that the purple bell peppers are very thin walled. I had wondered if the chocolate peppers would be the same.

-
Terry

by tkhooper on July 22, 2006 05:18 AM
I really didn't notice them being thinner than normal. But then I haven't done that much gardening to be sure.

With the Boldog it was really easy to notice that they were very thin. it was almost like they were all skin with no meat at all. lol

I'm so excited about making my own paparika. This is going to be so cool.

BTW my one and only brandywine that survived from you is getting ready to ripen it's tomato. I can't wait to harvest it. It even looks yummy.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oatmeal Cookies| Next thread: October plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: