The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Oleander Virus.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Oleander culture| Next thread: Olive Tree in pot »
Back to Thread index
by jonni13 on May 20, 2006 12:20 PM
I was going to purchase four dozen oleanders for a job that I am doing when I was clued in that there was a problem with a virus and they were going to die off in a few years.
So I came home and googled "oleander disease" and sure enough. There it was. A no cure bacterial thing cuased by a sharpshooter fly. Started in Palm Springs, Ca. and is already in my area.
Just a warning for anyone relying on years of service from this shrub. I would be wasting my client/friend's money purchasing this.
I'm sure glad that I am learning all of the advantages to the info available on the Web.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by The Plant Doc on May 20, 2006 12:46 PM
Just out of curiosity;
Why would someone want to plant oleander?
I spend quite a it of time killing the wild stuff when it appears in homeowners yards.
Is this a common landscape shrub in California?

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by jonni13 on May 20, 2006 01:08 PM
Nerium oleander is a commonly used shrub in Cal. Because it can take the heat and winds and such and still be green and bloom. It is poisonous and has a few other defects other than the new disease but it has a lot of uses here. It is often used along our freeways and parkways.
I didn't think it could survive the cold winters of your zone. My google search had it from zone 8-11.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by RugbyHukr on May 23, 2006 02:16 AM
& the blooms (6 months or more) smell wonderful.

Some plants get a bad rap due to being poisonous. People plant poisonous plants all the time. They do not realize it because they are less notorious.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Oleander culture| Next thread: Olive Tree in pot »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: