The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Banzai trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Bananasplit Cheesecake| Next thread: Barbecue »
Back to Thread index
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 09:38 AM
Im trying to grow banzai trees from seeds, how long will they most likely take and am I getting in over my head?
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:15 PM
I have not done true bonzai, but I've dwarfed many, many shrubs (just severe pruning). My brother has created lots of bonzais, and I have a friend who does it.
The main thing is that they're at your mercy...without close attention to watering, they'll quickly die. I have heard that many people are so eager to do something with them that they cut them back too much...patience is the key. I think they should start to be attractive after 2 to 3 years, but there are some plants that will be attractive right away...things like yew and japanese holly, and the horizontal junipers, etc. If you want the look of some of the marvelous bonzai from Japan, remember that these masterpieces are 50, 60, even 100 years old. Some are actually hollow they are so old. My brothers were looking attractive after a couple of years, and they only get better looking.
Give it a try! You can get junipers and japanese holly at Lowes or most anyplace for $4 to $5 each.
You should definitely give it a try

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 11:25 PM
Thanks for the info i can really use it
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by rubberbandman:
Thanks for the info i can really use it
Ask all the questions you want. Someone here almost always has some great answers, and we like to encourage other gardeners. [thumb]

-
Dave
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 11:41 PM
By the way, rubberbandman, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! [flower]

-
Dave
by rubberbandman on February 17, 2006 11:45 PM
Thanks

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bananasplit Cheesecake| Next thread: Barbecue »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: