The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Banana Trees

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Banana Trees???| Next thread: Banana Trees »
Back to Thread index
by Madison on September 29, 2005 05:29 AM
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to the site. I found the site in the spring and now I am just finding the time to make use of it. I am in the Midwest and I grew banana trees in my yard by our pool for the first time. I have heard different ways to preserve the trees through the winter but I don't know which way is the best. I know they have to come inside but I do not want them to be indoor plants per say. I have cats and I do not want the cats to eat them. Someone told me to dig up the plants and place in tubs in my basement and they would go dormant and just re-plant next year. Is this true? Another question, when exactly should I bring them inside?
Any ideas out there? I could use some.
Thx,
Madison
by weezie13 on October 11, 2005 06:18 AM
Madison,
I'm sorry, don't know how we missed this post..
But I'm going to move it into the FRUITS AND VEGETABLE SECTION..I think someone into that
section maybe able to help you better than in
the New Members section...

Sit tight, I'm sure some one will come thru
with an answer for you......

Also, in the meantime, do a FORUM SEARCH and type in BANANA... I think you'll find a few other posts about the care of those plants..

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Madison on October 11, 2005 08:35 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will take your advice.
by mike57 on October 11, 2005 12:59 PM
[wayey] HI Madison Dig them up after the first frost,cut off all the leaves and stalks leave just the main tall trunk wash the soil off the roots then place them in a card board box or a tub will do.then place them in the basement or some place where it stays fairly warm above freezing in a dark corner,then in the spring after all chances of frost is gone re plant them then.water real well and they will do just fine it will take a couple of weeks before new leaves start to grow.hope this helps your friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Banana Trees???| Next thread: Banana Trees »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: