The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

cats fishing in my pond

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cats and dracaena| Next thread: CATTAIL BIRD FEEDERS »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on May 31, 2006 11:18 AM
do you have any ideas on a cheap/free way to stop them without hurting them? i like the yard cats, i just don't like them eating the fish!
by jonni13 on May 31, 2006 12:06 PM
Hi Jiffy. How deep is your pond? Is there a chance of putting something in the pond for the fish to hide in/under? That works for our pond. My cat doesn't appear to fish but the hawks do. And owls on occasion. I have seen ponds with a 'lid' of chicken wire that is just under the surface of the water. Then there are plants for around the pond that are repulsive to cats; tulbaghia comes to mind.

~Tina
 -
 -
 -
Getting old is the pits. But it sure beats the alternative. My Blog
by Jiffymouse on June 01, 2006 12:23 PM
the pond is about 24" deep.

i like the chicken wire lid idea, and i'll have to look up tulbaghia. i do have stuff in there for them to hide in/under and plants too, but every now and again the cats will watch for the fish to come up to eat a bug and snatch one. i actually caugh the cat licking it's lips!!!

of course, they aren't koi, just feeder goldies, but even they get expensive, and i like them!
by shanbear on June 02, 2006 10:33 AM
Good Afternoon, Jiffy!

A dear friend of mine has replaced her above-ground swimming pool with a rather large pond. (Filled with goldies too!) She had this problem with some crows, owls and the neighbour's cats so we both know where your coming from. I suggest the chicken wire idea; this worked perfectly for her. Since your pond is 24" deep- that's plenty to have the wire sunken enough to camouflage it a little. My friend also has a beautiful array of lilly pads in her pond- a concern that she had was what her plants would do with this added chicken wire friend. I just wanted to let you know that the plants already there flourished wonderfully once the process was done and planting newer plants after the process was just a matter of having them come through the wire. A little bit of extra work but no more owls, crows or cats! [kitty]

Good Luck! (May we see a picture of your pond? It will be nice to see what you have done with yours.)
by Jiffymouse on June 02, 2006 03:25 PM
i do have a pic... let me dig it up and i'll post it in the next day or so...
by Jiffymouse on June 02, 2006 03:35 PM
ok, it was easier to find than i thought, i had already uploaded it. i don't know if you can see the fish in this pic, but they are there.
 -
and in this pic, you can see the whole set up, although, i've done lots more around it and added plants to it.
 -
by shanbear on June 06, 2006 05:12 AM
Jiffy:

I love how you have it three tiered! I haven't seen a lot of that around and it's a shame. Usually only two tiered. Three is unique!

Another suggestion I would like to add about the cat problem after seeing your pictures would be to add some larger flat rocks around the bottom pond. If stacked up a bit; think 2-3 layers, they can be made unstable so if a cat were to sit on a rock, it would tilt... sending the cat running. Also, adding some tiny gravel pebbles (or something similar) on top of these flat rocks or just by themselves placed around the pond, would be an unpleasant step to the cat causing him to get discouraged. I like these ideas because your adding more design to the pond and could make it more visually stimulating! DOUBLE PRO! However, this depends what you've done around the pond since the picture was taken.

Take care & what a beautiful pond!

Sincerely,
Shanbear
by Gardencrazy on June 06, 2006 08:37 AM
Jiffy~ You can use a square 4" or 6" pot turned on its side sunk to the bottom of your pond for a hidding place for the fishies. Have you seen the cats catch the fish?
Donna

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by buzylady on June 06, 2006 12:40 PM
My cats like to watch but they haven't caught any, should I say yet! The fish have grown rather large. They are just goldfish but about
6-8in long.
I think the wobbly rocks would have to fall to scare off the cats. They will balance themselves to accomodate to the wobble.

buzz buzz buzz  -
 -
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k103/Di_06/
by layercake on June 06, 2006 08:17 PM
I have to say I've never tried this, but a neighbor swears by this recipe:
2 parts cayenne pepper
3 parts dry mustard
5 parts flour
She just kind of sprinkles it around and makes sure to reapply after it rains.
by Gardencrazy on June 08, 2006 08:53 AM
Moth balls work well to repel cats too. I have 4 outside cats and I haven't had any problems with them fishing. They drink but have never tried to catch the fish.

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by shanbear on June 08, 2006 08:55 AM
Good Afternoon, Buzylady:

The "wobbly rock" idea I only used when I had a Tom Cat come around. Just doing it once cured him! I would suggest the tiny pebble idea for neighbour cats or your own...

The little rocks get stuck in between the pads of the cat's feet and they don't like it. I have also heard that if you have a problem with a cat walking through your garden, to put crunched up eggshells down ontop of the soil. I haven't tried this yet- but it promotes the same idea as the little pebbles around the pond. Just a thought!

[kitty]

I would like to try the recipe mentioned above though- sounds interesting! [Wink]
by Jiffymouse on June 10, 2006 01:07 PM
well, i have lost somewhere around 15 fish this year, with only about 3 "floaters" so i'm guessing the cats are the culprits.

so far, the 5 that are left are good hiders and fast. they do have hiding placed. i made sure of that.
by SpringFever on June 11, 2006 12:51 AM
Ohhh that is too bad Jiffy!I have a pond and had my fish eaten by a crane bird!! When I started up the pond I forgot to add the solar light floating ball (Big Lots 4.00).I have never had a problem since I have had it. Just in case it is a raccoon or something other than the cats.. you can also buy some of that pond netting..

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by Jiffymouse on June 11, 2006 05:59 PM
well, i am pretty sure it was the yard cats. they aren't "ours" and we don't feed them, but they aren't scared exactly of us either. and one was sitting on the side of the pond licking his chops looking way to happy to suit me the other day.

and, i even had the floating light in the pond.

but, i'm going to go get more fish tomorrow, and see what i can do. i have a a few hiding places for them. but i do have to get some more plants, its turning green now that we have warmed up!
by SpringFever on June 12, 2006 01:29 AM
Good Luck Jiffy!! [flower] [flower]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by shanbear on June 12, 2006 02:24 PM
Hey Jiffy!

Let us know what you do! [teacher]
by Jiffymouse on June 12, 2006 04:05 PM
well, today, i washed one of my fishies away by accident, but managed to save the other three that were washed out.

and i put about $20 worth of plants in

and chased off another cat

and i am going to go with the chicken wire, but i have to wait for a cloudy day, because i get very sunsick if i don't.
by Jiffymouse on June 12, 2006 04:06 PM
oh, yeah, i'll post pics of how it goes when it goes...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cats and dracaena| Next thread: CATTAIL BIRD FEEDERS »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: