The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need cheap ideas for clematis support

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by netwiz on July 19, 2006 12:53 PM
I became addicted to clematis after seeing my new neighbors HUGE blue flowers. So far I bought 8 and have 2 more on the way in the fall. I am at a loss on how to support all of the climbers without spending a fortune.

I plan to build one of the hog panel arbors and I also have 2 french door inserts that can be attached to the side of the house. I might even be able to use the side panels of my little ones crib that she has just outgrown. Has anyone done that and does it work well?

Hmmm, I have a birdhouse and a bird feeder on poles. Is there a way to get the vines to climb the poles?

I'm hoping to get a few more cheap ideas so I don't break the bank. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Joanne
by Triss on July 21, 2006 04:33 PM
Joanne. I am using the side of my lil ones crib for climbing vines. This year just to see how they climb it, I propped it against the house. So far they are doing pretty well though I have had to coax some of the vines between the slats.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Triss on July 21, 2006 04:44 PM
Here is a pic for you.

-

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Mrs.Bradley on July 22, 2006 09:20 AM
hey Joanne,
I just saw on a gardening show this morning.take 6 window panes without glass and screw them together in 2 triangles(bottom then top) then add them together to make 1 tall structure,add a top made of whatever looks good. they did a triangle on top to look like a "steeple"? and anchor to the ground.

it was cute.

-
 -
by netwiz on July 22, 2006 12:23 PM
Thanks for the replies! Triss, your crib rail looks great. I will definately give it a try. Mrs Bradley, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "6 window panes". Do you mean a full window without glass or 6 seperate panes?

Joanne
by joclyn on July 22, 2006 05:02 PM
ahh, the glassless windows are a good idea!

jo, the kind with the 6 panes inside the frame - just keep an eye out on trash day for windows that are being thrown out due to being replaced...just take out the glass panes and you're good to go!

and the crib parts will also work well!

for the existing poles, just twirl the vines up/around the pole as they grow. you can even take two seperate vines (from the same plant or two different) and intertwine them together...eventually they will grow into each other - thus providing support for itself.

(if you remember, i showed you my jackmani and how it was doing that).

you could also put some small nails or tacks into the pole to provide some extra support (to hold the vine in place) until it's grown enough to support itself.

wow! 8 with 2 more on the way????

lol, you really HAVE become addicted, haven't you??
by netwiz on July 23, 2006 01:26 AM
Well... it WAS 8 with 2 more on the way. [Embarrassed] Lowes had 5 unmarked clematis on a shelf and I just couldn't resist. Got them for 50 cents each!! Now I REALLY need those cheap ideas [thumb]

Joanne
by joclyn on July 23, 2006 08:02 AM
LOL...

can't beat 50 cents for a clematis!!!!
by penny in ontario on July 25, 2006 02:44 AM
I have also seen old gates used to help them grow...just mount them on the wall and they do wonderfully for you...as to where to get them,...maybe a re-use center or the dump.
Good luck..

-
 -

-
by netwiz on July 25, 2006 04:19 AM
Great idea Penny, thanks! I love the look of old gates in cottage style gardens. I'll have to keep my eye out for one or two. I wonder if I could grow them over an old wooden chair too. I should start looking at pictures of country gardens and see what kind of ideas it gives me. Thanks again!!

Joanne
by penny in ontario on July 25, 2006 07:43 AM
Thats where i got the idea for the gate...was from a country magazine...i am sure you could use an old chair too...it would give it that rustic look.
Good luck with it!

-
 -

-
by melissaincanada on August 06, 2006 01:49 AM
Hello,

I recently made a trellis from an tall old (1970's) lamp. It cost $4 at the thrift shop.

I have pictures on my garden blog here:
http://empressofdirt.blogspot.com/2006/08/1970s-lamp-becomes-trellis.html

I'm always looking for tall, weather-tolerant items at the junk shops because they make great garden supports for a variety of purposes.

~Melissa in Canada
My Garden Blog
My Garden Art/Junk
by melcon6 on August 06, 2006 02:15 AM
I took this from an old mobile home (1956) before it was torn down. It was a room divider , black wrought iron, between the kitchen and living room.

-

You probably can't see it too well , the clematis was very happy this year!

-

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Hi Gator on August 06, 2006 02:40 AM
Wow Mel, that looks great. (>: Nice salvage!
by penny in ontario on August 06, 2006 05:02 AM
thats so pretty...i'd take some too [thumb]

-
 -

-
by netwiz on August 06, 2006 05:56 AM
What great finds Melissa and Melcon! I've been keeping my eye out for things to use but haven't had any luck so far. We have the township large pick up coming next month so I'll be scouring the neighborhood. [clappy]

Joanne
by melcon6 on August 06, 2006 04:15 PM
Joanne, Is there a local dump you could paw through????????? We still have a dump here in my small town, I know a lot of cities and towns have transfer stations now and you can't go in there, but here they call it the "town mall" and every thing is separated so you can look in the metal scrap heap or the wood scraps or the building materials, etc. They even have a trailer that they set goods aside in, kinda like a yard sale in there.

-
 -

by netwiz on August 08, 2006 06:44 AM
Hi Mel,

Sounds like your town has a great setup. I've never heard of anything like that here but will check into it just in case. We have salvage stores galore but they all charge an arm and a leg for the "junk". I should check the craig list and see if there are any good freebies nearby.

Joanne
by ND farm girl on August 08, 2006 09:49 AM
I have a flag pole that I put chicken wire around and my sweet peas climbed up that.

PattyM
by netwiz on August 08, 2006 10:54 AM
Great idea ND! I have extra chicken wire left over from a project that I can wrap around the birdhouse and birdfeeder poles. I was wondering how I would get the clematis to climb them. Thanks!

Joanne
by melcon6 on August 11, 2006 04:36 PM
quote:
I was wondering how I would get the clematis to climb them. Thanks
pantyhose! [grin]

-
 -

by daffodil1942 on August 24, 2006 11:51 AM
Hi.My sister used an old stepladder that was no longer safe to use for her clemantis vine. I used a treated 4"X4" with dowel rod inserted into it here and there to tie string onto until it got started. I see there are several great ideas for recycling here which I am all for. Sandra
by Wrennie on August 28, 2006 01:34 AM
These are old window inserts.(They went between the glass panels so it would look like the window had multiple panels)I nailed them to the side of my garage and added some plastic netting for the tendrils to grab.
 -
Is there freecycle in your area?

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by netwiz on August 28, 2006 06:14 AM
An old ladder would look great if I can find one. Thanks for the idea Daff!

Wrennie, your post about the window inserts is what got my curiosity going about other things to use. I LOVE how yours came out and plan to do something similar with french door inserts. I hadn't thought about using the netting, thanks for pointing that out!

Joanne
by roflol on September 04, 2006 08:34 AM
Y'all just saved me from selling two clematis I thought I "overbought" earlier this year. I'm going to find a spot on the south wall and put *something* up. And Melissa, I'm going to do some tipsy pots too.... dang, that's an awesome idea - thanks for sharing!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: