The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need an idea for my asparagus patch

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rainie on October 25, 2006 11:00 PM
My asparagus is growing against the side of the house and it's just one loooong row of ferns, they don't do much the rest of the summer [Razz] . Does anyone have any ideas of what I can plant with/behind the ferns to make it look pretty? It is very sunny and about 100 feet long. I love color and would like a nice mix of it to fill in with the ferns once I get the asparagus. By the way, this is the second year, should I leave the ferns alone again this summer? If anyone can find any pictures of asparagus mixed into a flower bed, I'd love to see it.
by netty on October 26, 2006 08:06 AM
How about some Cosmos? The foliage would blend in with the asperagus and the pink flowers would stand out.

-
 -
by Deborah L. on October 26, 2006 08:20 AM
Yeah, Netty, that's a great suggestion ! I love cosmos ! It's so tall too, and would show up well behind the ferns.

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on October 26, 2006 10:03 AM
salvia leucantha would look nice, also sunflowers

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by rainie on October 26, 2006 10:55 PM
thanks guys! Cosmos would be good, sunflowers too - exept they always seem to flop over [tears]
by rainie on October 26, 2006 11:01 PM
And I forgot to say, I googled the salvia - will it get to 4 feet tall, some sites say yes, others say 2 feet?

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: