The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Bird of paradise

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Bird of Paradise| Next thread: bird of paradise »
Back to Thread index
by nitingale on May 18, 2004 10:47 PM
Hello everyone--I am a complete novice and have been know to kill house plants:(! we just moved into a new rental with a wonderful front and back yard with gorgeous rose bushes (which so far are survivng my minor gardening skills:)--and a wonderful and very large bird of paradise located on 1 side of our garage. It gets direct sunlight in the morning but not the rest of the day--did have flowers on it when we moved in ( a few) but I noticed many of the leaves are yellow to black. I would really like to bring this plant back as they are some of favorite flowers--any suggestions??
Thanks
by catlover on May 19, 2004 01:25 AM
I live in Fallbrook, north county San Diego and have been gone the last several days so I don't know what the weather has been like...but I do know before I left it was hotter than heck. Did they get enough water during the hot period????
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by nitingale on May 20, 2004 08:15 PM
Thanks for replying--I think they have gotten enough water since we moved in as I have noticed some new growth (one or two new leaves) however we have only been here since the first of May so can't answer for before that--I am going to try and cut off all the dead leaves and stalks this w/e and see if that helps--I am currently watering every other day for 10-20 minutes--depends on how long my 18 month old son leaves the hose alone:)! If you have any other suggestions that might help they would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
by catlover on May 20, 2004 10:10 PM
Maybe Bill's page will help out. BOP from Bill's write up

When my parents had them they were in full sun most of the day....we only watered them maybe once a week...if hot maybe twice weekly. Bill recommends fertilizer but we only fertilized maybe 4 times per year if that. They were monster BOP. I agree with cutting out the dead or dying stuff....once the leaf starts going they don't come back. I have a feeling it was just tooo hot during that spell and not enough water. I have a feeling you are watering a little too much at this point but maybe the soil was just tooo dry and needed a good soaking....after it starts coming back try and reduce the water to maybe twice a week but make sure it is deep watered. If your child leaves the hose alone long enough maybe set it on a trinkle and let it go for awhile twice weekly. If you have real sandy soil it may just be leaching right through and couldn't grab the water fast enough. [dunno]

Keep us updated on your BOP condition....just attach it right to the bottom of this post.
[kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by papito on May 21, 2004 08:16 PM
More info on Bird of Paradise from Clemson.

Bird of Paradise

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Bird of Paradise| Next thread: bird of paradise »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: