The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Potato bugs

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: potassium deficiency in Tomatoes| Next thread: Potato Candy »
Back to Thread index
by Cricket on March 15, 2005 05:27 AM
Warning! Do NOT visit this site if you are squeamish, suffer from cardiac problems or are prone to nightmares! [shocked]

Potato Bugs
by Amy R. on March 15, 2005 09:06 PM
I can't even look. I want to though, but I can't. I know what I will see, and it scares me, yet still, curiosity gets the best of me. [scaredy]
I better wait until this evening after I have had my nightly tonic. Perhaps that will give me the fortitude to look into the abyss that is The Potato Bug. [Eek!]
Is it tonight yet? [shocked]
by sachis2112 on March 15, 2005 11:33 PM
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] Go ahead and look. The first page is actually quite funny. And definately click the "articles" link!

I didn't see the name "Jeruselum Cricket" listed. But that's what I heard them called first. I have yet to see one in person... but DFiance says that, when they walk down the sidewalk, you can hear their legs click against the pavement.... [scaredy] [scaredy]

-
by Amy R. on March 16, 2005 12:46 AM
quote:
I didn't see the name "Jeruselum Cricket" listed. But that's what I heard them called first.
ROFL!!! Cricket, there is a Jewish Potato Bug named after you!!! [Big Grin] [shocked] [Big Grin]
by Cricket on March 16, 2005 02:56 AM
quote:
ROFL!!! Cricket, there is a Jewish Potato Bug named after you!!!
[Razz] But I'm much CUTER! [Big Grin]

I'm named after the bunny on the left (the other is Daisy)
 -
by Amy R. on March 16, 2005 03:05 AM
Cricket! That site is hysterical, I can't believe I waited until just now to have a peek! I even tried to check out the message board, but alas, it was down. I mean, this is a site that I could find myself frequenting! The FAQ page was great, it gave me a good giggle, although the pics gave me the heebie jeebies. I can't believe we used to actually have those in our garden, blech! Thanks for the post, that was great.
And I take back what I said, you are MUCH MUCH more cuter than a Jerusalem cricket. That said, it could have been worse, it could have been "bald fetus of Satan"!!! [Big Grin] [Mad] [Big Grin]
by sachis2112 on March 16, 2005 07:20 AM
Here's the one I couldn't get over. [devil] "Satan's fetus" [devil] That's not a bug. That's a speed-metal band. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Ooo! And, Amy... did you see this part?
quote:
Q: When I sleep, I have recurring dreams about potato bugs. Nightmares, really. Should I be concerned?
A: No. We all have nightmares about potato bugs. Try not to drink alcohol right before bed.

[muggs]

-
by catlover on March 16, 2005 07:43 PM
[Big Grin] ...you all are a riot!

I in fact have these alien creatures in my yard. I have found five of them so far. And yes, they are supposed to give a nasty bite from what I have been reading. I researched them a couple years ago...but forgot everything I learned. [perplexed]

I pulled a prank with one of them once with my sister....let's just say she is very paranoid now when I reach out to hand her something. [grin] [devil]

It was in a jar...come on now...if it was something really bad do you think I would literally be holding it?!! Let me answer that....YES!!!!!!! [devil] [Big Grin]
Ah memories of sisterly love....tee hee hee [muggs]

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on March 18, 2005 02:08 PM
If that's the potato bug what's the one I was told was a potato bug?

It looks like a minature armadillo and rolls into a ball when you touch it and I was told that they were beneficial in the garden.

I'm so confused [dunno] [dunno] [dunno]

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 19, 2005 02:00 AM
those are called pill bugs or roly poly's
by duckie on March 19, 2005 04:25 AM
[Mad] grrrr,potato beetles really s*ck.
But I killed 'em deader than a doornail last year with Pyola.

Here is a link for what they look like.

http://www.ourgardenpests.com/PotatoBug.html

roly polies/pill bugs really are a gardeners friend.Just like Weezie said,they eat dead and decaying plant matter.

Last year I had them chomping on my strawberries. But I think that was because it was a very wet and cool spring and summer.
Also the mulch I was using was wood bark chips.I took all that out and replaced it with wheat straw.Much better drainage.

Voila [Wink] it worked.

[flower] Duckie

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on March 19, 2005 04:09 PM
Cricket...
I have been plagued by potato bugs for several years, and found the Potato Bug website you provided the link for to be very helpful.

Unfortunately, I didn't find my potato bug in any of the pictures. It's similar to the "Devil's Spawn", but has some characteristics of the "Bald Evil Fetus". [nutz] I posted a picture of it on the website in hopes that someone can identify it for me.

quote:
Potato bugs are drawn to the smell of alcohol,
I found this information interesting because the potato bugs showed up soon after I started drinking at night in the garden with the slugs and skunks. [Embarrassed]

They have obviously over-wintered in the house, because I have seen them in the lower cabinet where I keep my potatos and my Jim Beam. They seem to be more drawn to the Jim Beam than the potatos, because they have actually chewed the labels off the bottles, and on more than one occasion chewed the plastic cap right off the bottle. [Frown]

quote:
They may gnaw your cheeks while you sleep, trying to get at the smell of the alcohol on your breath.

Now, that scares me! [scaredy]
Thank God one of my obsessive/compulsive disorders is brushing my teeth! I even get up in the middle of the night and brush my teeth (and my hair, but not with the same brush!). This freaky teeth-brushing obsession has obviously saved me from getting my cheeks gnawed through during my sleep. [thumb]

I found this information on the website to be extremely interesting, due to the fact that I am prone to alien encounters:
quote:
That very photo clearly shows something resembling a potato bug near one of the Mars rocks. Utilizing N.A.S.A.'s space technology, the photo was hyper-enlarged near the spot where the potato bug stands. PotatoBugs.com obtained the only known print of the Mars potato bug from Turner, who had it attached to his fridge with a Garfield magnet.

"Yeah, it's clearly a potato bug," says Irv Bostich, a friend of Turner's from Castaic.

"My best guess is that potato bugs are extra-terrestrial," reckons Turner. "How else did they get there? How did they get here?"

I have also sent the photograph of my potato bug to NASA, in hopes of identification.

Cindy's Potato Bug
 -

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Amy R. on March 21, 2005 01:26 AM
[Big Grin] [Frown] [Big Grin]
ROFL, Cindy!!! I thought I was the only one who had those in our garden--Of course, I also thought it was because our garden was in California, but nonetheless, I am not alone! I can't wait to hear what NASA has to say! [gabby]
by Winter Rosebudd on March 21, 2005 01:40 AM
EEW. What a scary thread you guys!!! OK..EW..EEW EWW...wanna hear something even scarier? Has anyone seen that show fear factor? Well we never watch it...but...on one occasion because one of our models was competeing on it. So theres this one part where they have to shoot this thing at this big wheel and wherever it lands...that would determine the amount of POTATO BUGS....that they had to EAT! BLAAAHHHHH....YEUCK!!!! So anyways...Masumi, thank GOD, only had to eat one and guess what? She ate it! AAAACK!!!!

-
by Amy R. on March 21, 2005 05:15 AM
No way. You did not just write that! I have to go obsessively brush my teeth now!!! [shocked]
by Cricket on March 21, 2005 10:38 AM
quote:
Now, that scares me!
Cindy, that scares me, too! Almost enough to make me want to quit drinking. [lala] Ummm...don't hold your breath waiting for NASA to identify your potato bug. They've got that one under tight wraps, right up there with the identity of the lizard people...but that's a different story (or so they would want you to believe! [shocked] [scaredy] )

quote:
She ate it! AAAACK!!!!

Okay, now I will never sleep again. Sleep just isn't worth the nightmares. [Frown]
by Winter Rosebudd on March 22, 2005 01:54 AM
Sorry...I know...so disgusting! Whats sad is she didn't win the competition either. $50,000.00. UMMM...I don't think I'd eat one of those things for 100 grand. Nope. [Big Grin] I'll stay poor and have my top ramen.

-
by ranee_renee23 on March 23, 2005 05:24 AM
Hi all! so potato bugs/ nino de la tierra as I know it is not deadly? my parents who are Mexican always said if they bit me i could die in thirty minutes or less. they are ugly though. As a child killed a potato bug by drowning it in my daddy's taquila/ mescal which is a white taquila made from the Yucca plant.

True INSANITY will never admit itself.(forgive my misspellings)
by Amy R. on March 23, 2005 05:43 AM
quote:
As a child killed a potato bug by drowning it in my daddy's taquila/ mescal which is a white taquila made from the Yucca plant.

Hey, that's alcohol abuse! [Wink] Although I do have to say that if I would use any means necessary to get rid of the darn things. Even my precious tequila! [muggs]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: potassium deficiency in Tomatoes| Next thread: Potato Candy »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: