The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

potassium deficiency in Tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Pot size Vs. Plant size| Next thread: Potato bugs »
Back to Thread index
by pagarden on September 02, 2004 06:15 AM
my tomato plants are actually doing alright considering the mild wet summer we've had. i have noticed leaf curling and mottling and the fruits ripen unevenly. like it'll be so red and even slightly soft on the underside but there might be a small patch of green on the side. was driving me crazy so i looked a little and found out it was a potassium deficiency. sounds exactly like my plants. so my question is how can i fix it? it's late in the growing season and most places don't have a big variety of plant stuff anymore. i did manage to find a miracle-gro made specifically for tomatoes with a higher % of potash. is there anything i can add naturally to get the potassium levels higher or do you think the miracle-gro for tomatoes will help? it's labeled 18-18-21

by papito on September 03, 2004 05:16 PM
Pagarden,

I think you answered your own question.

Miracle Gro Water Soluble Tomato Plant Food works both in foliar and root system. Use Miracle Gro garden feeder or mix ONE tablespoon per gallon of water in a watering can.

Pictures of mineral deficiencies in tomato plants shown below.

Potassium deficiency

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by pagarden on September 07, 2004 06:03 AM
yea, the pics look like my pitiful plants. and yes, i'm going to try the miracle gro but was just wondering if anything else might help them along also. ya know- like stuff i already have around the house. for example i never ever throw away egg shells anymore- i crush them up and store them and periodically throw some around my tomatoes for calcium. so i was just wondering if anything else might help besides the miracle gro, that's all. [Smile]
by weezie13 on September 07, 2004 06:05 AM
Pagarden,
Do a FORUM SEARCH, and type in EPSOM SALTS!!!!

That will help the plant utilize the nutrients you add to the soil/dirt....

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Phil and Laura on September 10, 2004 03:16 PM
In preperation for next year , "create" your own potash, quite simply...wood ash, just make certain that the wood you burn for ashes contains NO treated wood or lumber. You could check out this link for an alternative solution...Humic acid, it also helps break down clay soils, while feeding and giving your soils microorganisms a BOOST: JOY JUICE
by Phil and Laura on September 10, 2004 03:22 PM
FOOT NOTE You can't go wrong by contacting your local county extension office and getting an envelope for a soil test, they are usually anywhere from free to about 15 bucks, depending on your county, they will tell you how to collect the sample, and your results will tell you how much of each nutrient you need to add, i will be more than happy to convert there reccomendations to organic equiv's for you

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pot size Vs. Plant size| Next thread: Potato bugs »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: