The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Garden Layout

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Tipster_Chad on April 19, 2006 11:05 AM
I've been wondering if there is any particular way that a vegetable garden should be laid out. Taller veggies at one end, rows running North/South or East/West, etc. And which vegetables need more/less attention as far as fertilizing and such? Any replys are appreciated.

-Sarah [Love]

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
2nd Corinthians 9:6
by Wrennie on April 19, 2006 07:38 PM
You don't want your tall veggies to shade your short ones so put them on the north side. You can plant in blocks or rows.
I use compost and cow manure in my whole veggie garden. I have read that legumes will still do well in the 'poorer' soil. too much fertilizer in some cases will give lots of leaves and no fruit. (I dont use commercial fertilizers so I dont know the specifics here)

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Tipster_Chad on April 19, 2006 08:58 PM
Ok. Thanks! I'll keep it in mind when I start planting!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

"But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall also reap sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully"
by Bestofour on April 20, 2006 06:42 AM
Wrennie, how do you fertilize using the manure? And how often?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by weezie13 on April 20, 2006 08:06 AM
Do some Googling at the top, *make sure i'ts set on the Garden Helper* and type in COMPANION PLANTING, there should be some info on that...

"Alot depends on what you want to grow, and eat..

Can you tell us what you're planting or what you like to eat....

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Tipster_Chad on April 20, 2006 10:53 AM
Sure. I'm planning on planting a lot. Including: Tomatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Cabbage, Corn, Summer and Winter Squash, Watermelons (another thing that has never really turned out for me), Pole Beans, Bush beans, and Sunflowers.

-Sarah ZONE 5

by Tipster_Chad on April 20, 2006 10:53 AM
OH! and leaf lettuce!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

by Wrennie on April 20, 2006 08:07 PM
Plant leaf lettuce early! Its a cold weather crop and will not do well in hot weather. If you cant plant tillits hot put it in a partly shaded area to keep it cool. Pick often or it will bolt, go to seed, and taste bitter.

Bestoffour
Be sure the manure is cow, less likely to get weeds, and well composted. You can use horse but put it in the sun under a piece of black plastic to cook it for about a week or else you will have a pasture in your garden. If you use either right from the field it will be to high in nitrogen and probably burn your plants.
You can also buy bags of composted or dehydrated at garden shops. I've never tried sheep or goat.
I use composted in the beginning of the season and turn it under in all the beds. In flower beds I top dress, rake it into the soil early spring or late fall where needed.

**NEVER use cat or dog droppings where you have food crops or where you'll be working with your hands.

-
 -

-

- Summer Camp '07, July 14th weekend, won't you join us?  -
summer camp thread 1, 2, 3,4
by Xetox on April 22, 2006 04:27 AM
I have used sheep and cow, cow I get free so I like it, we raise cattle. Sheep seems to work better though, I read something somewhere one time that sheep poop is highest in neutretns.

-
I hate those dang rabbits [Smile]
by Tipster_Chad on April 23, 2006 11:07 AM
All the manure I can get is Chicken and Rabbit. Thanks for the tips!!!

-Sarah ZONE 5

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: