The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Garden Varmint

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Garden Update 8-22-06| Next thread: Gardenia »
Back to Thread index
by JV on June 29, 2006 08:43 PM
Since I can't get photo's of all the birds I now have around here all expect the hummer [Frown] thought I would show you the male squirrel I have here fianly got close enough I could get a shot hope you can see it. Also a female and abunch of little ones around but they run. This one will sit and watch until you get within range then he runs today he acted like he wanted to fight over his food.
 -
 -

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by slredmond on June 30, 2006 12:05 AM
Great pics! They certainly entertaining to watch - even cute if you ignore their bulb-digging!! Yours certainly looks fat and happy and well fed.

Sandy R.
by JV on June 30, 2006 12:13 AM
Thanks Sandy: He should I have that feeder for him you see him on as well as a corn cob feeder just to the left of that one. He also gets into my birds black oil sunflower seeds and my wild bird seed. I put out fresh corn cobs for them all the time.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by ChillnPepper on June 30, 2006 11:14 AM
Ya know, JV? I have a female who clings to my kitchen window screen and eats 'trail mix' bird seed...but she flat turned her nose up at some fresh corn that I had left over from dinner one night. I was just grilled inside of the husks (gas grill), do ya think she is persnickity, or does fresh grilled corn just not suit my furry friend?

She loves fresh plums tho! And I am fresh out now!

-
"Live simply; expect little, give much...scatter sunshine."
M. J. McLeod
~Zone 8a~
by Squirrel on June 30, 2006 04:05 PM
Jimmy, What a cute squirrel! [lala] [Big Grin] [lala] Too bad it's a he, you could name him Sue. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I don't think I've ever seen one that color and with such a long tail. Do you know what kind he is? We have a lot of squirrels around here, but they're a light grey and not so much brown. They keep snipping the flower heads off of my Gerber Daisies. Just for fun!!! [Mad] I could see it if they ate them but they just let them lay. [dunno] They are fun to watch. [Smile] Sue

-
 -
What goes around comes around, so be nice!lol
by patches1414 on June 30, 2006 06:11 PM
Oh Jimmy, what a cutie! [Wink] The squirrels around here seem to look more grey than brown. They dig up my plants and bulbs, then destroy my feeders, [Eek!] but you still got to love their antics! [Love] They are such a joy to watch! [Big Grin]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by JV on July 03, 2006 02:49 AM
I was told they were red fox squirrel I don't know much about them. I do know they will pull up your your small cactus and eat them. This is first year I have seen them. Way they are clearing everything here to sit barren they probably came from some of the former wooded areas. I am thinkin gabout putting up a nest box for them my dogs don't bark at them anymore so I guess they like them.Cillinpepper I buy the corn on cob feed it to them raw I don't cook it for them. I feed only raw items to the little wild life I get.

-
 -
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by patches1414 on July 03, 2006 04:18 AM
quote:
This is first year I have seen them. Way they are clearing everything here to sit barren they probably came from some of the former wooded areas.
Isn't that a shame Jimmy! [tears] I think it's so sad how we are taking so many areas away from all the critters. [Frown] I live in the middle of a mid-sized city and had a doe and her fawn in my yard last year. This was a FIRST for me! I was so excited and thought it was really neat; BUT, it also broke my heart to think she had no place else to go. [Frown] Until this past spring, we had a stretch of farmland and wooded area between us and the next town, but it's been cleared and there are already about 50 houses there with more being built every day. [Frown]

quote:
I am thinking about putting up a nest box for them
That sounds like a GREAT idea Jimmy, [thumb] I hope you do it. You know, I get mad when they dig up my plants and destroy my feeders, but I still love them [Love] and buy 'Critter Food' for them!

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by TulsaRose on July 03, 2006 07:50 AM
Love the pix of your pet, Jim. [Smile] I also have two corn cob feeders for the little devils and I'll sometimes put out raw peanuts for them. They are very destructive but shoot, way too much fun to watch to worry about the things they eat or tear up.

We have the Fox squirrels here, too, and they can get pretty friendly. Here's a picture of a little sow visiting through the window with my dog. They will put their noses up to the glass and try to smell each other...it's a hoot!

-

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by Thornius on July 05, 2006 05:38 AM
Yes, Jimmy, that IS a fox squirrel. The bright orange-red and ENORMOUS size of that squirrel is typical of the Fox Squirrel. We have quite a few of them here in Tennessee along with the usual Gray Squirrels and in the Appalachian Mountains of East Tennessee, a small, unstriped, chipmunk-sized, red squirrel, called a, "BOOMER".

-
 -
A bird in the hand......can sometimes be a mess.
by corabell on July 09, 2006 12:08 PM
I am so glad to see others like squirrels. I enjoy watching them but most people around here think of them as pests. I feed the birds so why not the squirrels. They must get hungry to.
Jimmy I like your squirrel. I have never seen one like it. We have the grey ones and the black.
Thanks for sharing the pic.

One who plants a garden plants happiness.
by Tonya on July 13, 2006 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Squirrel
quote:
Too bad it's a he, you could name him Sue.
You must not listen to Johnny Cash...Boy Named Sue... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [tongue]

Cute pics! [thumb]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Garden Update 8-22-06| Next thread: Gardenia »
Back to Thread index