The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Peppers in containers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by peppereater on March 27, 2006 05:55 AM
As some of you know, I'm a nut for peppers and tomatoes. We've had some good discussions about container tomatoes, but few about peppers. Who has done peppers in containers, what size container is best and what tips do you have? I have a jalapeno in a 3 gallon pot in front of my N. facing sliding glass door, just for the winter, but the long days have made it blossom! I'm thinking 3 and 5 gallon containers...I'm going to try peppers and tomatoes in these this year, but only semi-determinate and determinate tomatoes,of course. I'd post this in container gardening, but I've noticed this section gets more visits...or so it seems.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Frisha on March 27, 2006 06:33 AM
We grew two pepper plants 1 cayanne and 1 green bell last year in a 3.5 gallon oval bucket this wasn't the best choice as we had soem cross pollination but they too got watered daily. We had enought that it was an ok crop going to try them in speerate 5 gallones this year and see if they do better.
by Deborah L. on March 27, 2006 08:00 AM
I have a yellow bell pepper in a pot for fun. Just bought one this year. No blossoms yet, but it will. I do one every year.

-
 -
by njoynit on March 28, 2006 05:55 AM
I useually grow at least 1 pepper plant in a contanier.I sometimes overwinter 1 plant for early start the following year& won't keep one going more than 3yrs. mostly 3 gallon.I did do cyanne in a qt pot but it wasn;t real happy,but I also wasn't good about watering it.
Curently have a banana pepper in pot and a type of ornamental pepper.I have seeds somewhere's thats a lil round hollow pepper sorta like pimento,but its tabasco type(gee I'd know so much more with the seeds...plant...package.... [lala] ) I likes bell peppers also,but haven't sowed my seeds for those yet& have only done my large jalpenos for this year.I normally grow alot of jalpenos the smaller and the larger one cause i'll use some to deter other critters(plus keeps dogs from chewing my furniture.I'm pissed it won't work the same on the blinds& the verticle one cost more...the one THEY love the most!)
I won't even have blossoms till near end of May.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Deborah L. on April 01, 2006 04:31 AM
I didn't know a pepper plant will live more than one season ! I thought they croak like a tomato plant.
Hmmm, maybe I'll hang onto mine, and trim off the icky old leaves and see what it does. I'm in California, so it can stay outside year round, although I do cover my plants with large trash bags if we get a frost.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 01, 2006 06:00 AM
Peppers are actually a tropical plant. I have grown almost everything you imagine in buckets....Tomatoes do need the 5 gallon bucket, but I have found that "most" peppers will grow fine in a 3 gallon sized bucket. The reason I say this is at the end of the growing season when you pull up the pepper plant, You should see that it doesn't have a very deep root system, but does spread out, the 3 gallon size has a bigger ?circle then the 5 gallon size, if this makes sense [nutz] Smaller peppers or ornamentals can even be grown in small containers, Like large flower pots, which yes can be carried back into the house in the fall and over wintered. I had this wonderful small purple hot pepper, that I kept a plant growing in the house just like a house plant, and it produced plenty of fresh peppers. I lost it a few years ago in a move, and all the saved seed I had was too old to germinate, since it wasn't stored properly. I have looked high and low for this pepper and can't find it anywhere.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 01, 2006 08:57 PM
I've grown Jalapeno's and assorted colored pepper plants in pots/containers..
I wasn't allllll too happy, but we weren't alllll too faithful on diligently watering like we should have... *they were my oldest sons' plants*
but I do know pepper plants have an EXTENSIVE ROOT SYSTEM... and you should take that into account when looking into a pot/container for it..
IMHO, I'd go with the veryyyyyyy largest pot/container you can... and only one to a container..
***I grew 4 jalap's in a rectangle type one and I should have only put in one plant, and it would have done fine.. *but I thought with good soil it'll do fine, nope, uh~uh, I don't think so.....

I will do it again, but I think what I'm going to try this time is, buy some of that dirt that has those polymere crystals in it, and use that for the bottom layer of soil, ***that way, the water retention stays at the bottom of the pot/container making the roots want to go down*** then fill the top layer or rest of it up with a combo of potting soil and compost....
See if that works any better...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Deborah L. on April 01, 2006 11:09 PM
I have one yellow bell pepper in an 18 inch pot.
Should do well in a pot that size.
My Celebrity tomato is loaded with blossoms now.
It's my first Celebrity, and I'm curious as to the taste. Have heard good things.
I sure didn't like last years' Early Girls. [Razz]

-
 -
by comfrey on April 09, 2006 11:53 AM
I agree about the water part, When growing in a bucket or large container, they do seem to require ALOT of water compared to planting into the ground.

My pepper seeds have not germinated as good as I would have liked, but I still ending up with plenty of seedlings, so that is good, germination was just poor for me on the peppers this year. And the bad thing is that it is seed I saved from last year, so it could have been something I did when saving the seed or the storage of it????

-
 -
by Triss on April 09, 2006 12:03 PM
I have done peppers in 3 and 5 gallon buckets. They did great in there. I will be doing the same this year in containers. IF that is I can get mine to sprout. I am having a bear of a time getting anything to go.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by 'Sparagus on April 09, 2006 07:22 PM
Triss: Im no expert, but I hear that peppers especially like it warm to germinate, even cool watering will set them back!

Im glad to read this thread! Im doing jalapeno and cayennes in pots this year because I have no room anywhere else, and can hopefully bring them inside in the fall to get red hot on the plants!

Karen [flower]
by Triss on April 10, 2006 12:23 AM
Karen, Yep, I have heard that about peppers as well. I am keeping them warm, watering them warm, and have never had this much trouble before getting them to sprout. To date I have exactly 2 sprouts and both are the same, long thin cayennes. I dunno what the deal is but am going to be working on a "hothouse" for these particular seeds this week. I finally have some space to dedicate to these seeds since other stuff has grown enough to be hardened off.

-
 -
by peppereater on April 10, 2006 01:34 AM
Triss...you're not alone. I started some rainbow mix bell peppers over 6 weeks ago...still no sprouts. 7 of 12 jalapenos have sprouted, the best of any variety, but out of over 40 seeds, I have maybe 12 tiny plants...I've kept them warm and everything. My tomatoes are so large I'll have to plant them this week, but not so for peppers this year! Is it just a bad year, or what? [Frown] [Big Grin]
I'm going to start more peppers and keep my fingers crossed.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by Triss on April 10, 2006 01:46 AM
Well I wish yours were growing too Dave. Wonder what is going on with us? I am going to keep plugging away at it and if worse comes to worse, I will be buying plants from the stores!

-
 -
by 'Sparagus on April 10, 2006 02:36 AM
I had good luck getting my cayenne and jalapeno seeds to sprout, a few days earlier than the projected dates from the packet! (Im not bragging [grin] ) What I did was plant in peat pots, on a tray, and put the whole thing inside the clear bag that my daughter's bedding set came in: thick plastic, zipper, perfect size! Sat it next to the heater in the warmest room in the house. I guess being a pack rat and saving that bag paid off!

[flower] Karen
by comfrey on April 10, 2006 10:34 AM
I kept my seeds warm also when they were suppose to germinating....Must be something in the air this year that is slowing down the pepper germination for most of us...I am like Dave my tomatoes are getting pretty big, and my peppers are small still. When I thought the seeds from the Bell pepper were not going to sprout I just kept starting more and finally ended up with the amount I need, But on the Jalapeno...I put 10 seeds down and ended up with 3 little seedlings, So I am waiting for more to sprout that in another container I started. Last year my peppers did better then the tomatoes...Strange year I suppose?????? Glad to know I am not alone on this.

-
 -
by Triss on April 10, 2006 10:53 AM
Well I totally forgot that I had another set of mixed peppers going. I got 6 or 7 plants out of that one but they are wee small things. I still transfered them to bigger containers and hopefully they will do well there. I also started a dozen California Wonder Bell Peppers. I did put 2 seeds in each of the 12 spots cuz of how poorly they have been doing and put them in a south facing window cuz it is getting the most sun and heat. Will see how that space works.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 11, 2006 02:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
I did put 2 seeds in each of the 12 spots cuz of how poorly they have been doing
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Sorry Triss I have to laugh at this, as you should know since you are tryin to make sure enough sprout...They all will end up sprouting, it is so wierd how plants and seeds do things sometimes. If you have 5 seeds and need all 5 to sprout...1-3 may sprout, but if you have 25 seeds and only need 5 all 25 will sprout. Good Luck Triss.

-
 -
by comfrey on April 11, 2006 03:13 AM
Here is a picture of my California Wonder Bell Peppers  -

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 05:04 AM
Looks good!

If all 24 sprout, I will be a happy camper! One can never have enough peppers!

-
 -
by comfrey on April 11, 2006 11:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Triss:
Looks good!

If all 24 sprout, I will be a happy camper! One can never have enough peppers!

[thumb] I second that motion [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 12:22 PM
This is my 3rd round of peppers and I still have a lot more to go. And I am sure I will end up buying some anyhow to add to that. The plan is peppers between all the flowers and in pots here as well as at MIL's place. I cannot wait to start making ristras!

-
 -
by Triss on April 11, 2006 12:22 PM
Oh yes and chili and salsa and all kinds of good stuff!

-
 -
by comfrey on April 12, 2006 12:01 AM
I use all of my bells for making a special sweet relish, Everyone loves it and begs for a jar [Big Grin] I also expected to bring it to any of dinners we are invited to also....Can't disappoint the relish lovers. I'll have a 45' row of nothing but California Wonder, and I plant them kind of close together, about 40 plants.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 01:24 AM
Have you ever made "Stuffed Peppers"??
It's got like hamburger, tomato paste, pepper,
.......some put in corn or rice, then stuff it in the hollowed out pepper, and bake it in the oven???

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by comfrey on April 12, 2006 02:28 AM
Yes Weezie...I love stuffed peppers!

-
 -
by Triss on April 12, 2006 02:33 AM
Yep, I have done them too, mostly we eat ours in salads and omlettes and use them as a mild addition to salsa for the kiddos and people who do not like HOT salsa.

-
 -
by Ivy9 on April 12, 2006 03:32 AM
Hi
Wow you guys are all experts here !
I have started tomato seeds , 10 of them sprouted but I did not have the heart to separate them and all are in a 4" pot. I did start all kinds of peppers but forgot to water enough and all died
[Frown]
Do all these vegetables need absolutely full sun. I have a patio that is on the north side but not much shaded. If there is any chance of growing peppers in that area I will buy plants from the nursery.I would love home grown peppers
by Deborah L. on April 12, 2006 04:40 AM
Triss - you're making ristras?????
I'm impressed ! Wanna give us some pointers? How long do they last? The dried peppers being edible, I mean.
Ivy, I'm only a container gardener, but there are lots of nice people here who can teach you far better than I can.
Comfrey, 45 feet? Wow !
Weezie, stuffed peppers rule ! I do mine vegetarian though, with beans and chopped onion and other good stuff.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 12, 2006 04:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Deborah L.:
Weezie, stuffed peppers rule ! I do mine vegetarian though, with beans and chopped onion and other good stuff.
Deborah,
You wouldn't happen to have a recipe [critic] for
that would you??
I actually don't eat the one's stuffed with hamburger, I love to cook, and do cook them,
used to for my father, but maybe, just maybe I'd try a veggie one... [thumb] [grin]

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Deborah L. on April 12, 2006 05:19 AM
Weezie, I call them my garbage disposal stuffed peppers, because I just add whatever is on hand and sounds good.
In a bowl I mix (per pepper) a half cup of kidney beans, some leftover rice, chopped onion, sprinkle of garlic powder, S&P, maybe some fresh chopped parsley, leftover chopped tomato, and over the top pour on some tomato sauce, like Ragu.
Or, have you tried Morning Star Farms soy crumbles? They are wonderful !!! I use them in place of hamburger in the peppers, and for spaghetti sauce too.
BTW, their veggie corndogs are so good and so amazingly like the real thing, it is incredible !

-
 -
by Triss on April 12, 2006 10:07 AM
Peppers really do like sun but they may so well with mostly sun. When are you shady Ivy?

Yep Deborah, I am making them again. The peppers dry out after several months and they can be ground up for hot pepper spice. But you have to be VERY CAREFUL when you grind them up (in a blender) cuz if you smell the dust, oh man are you in deep trouble. Speaking from experience here.

Once I get to actually making them, I will post a how to.

I will also be raosting them to freeze and making salsa to can. YUM, I can taste it all already!

-
 -
by JV on April 12, 2006 06:05 PM
Dave , Triss my Thai chili as well as my Caribbean chili are in 5 gallon buckets I over wintered them in the house by a window also used full spectrum lights they are about 4 foot tall and in full bloom right now also have some small fruit on them. My Jalapenos have not done well this year some of my Cayenne have come up. ust be a slow year for peppers every where.
Jimmy

-
 -
Meet Clyde my Male Sugar Glider. Clyde says.
Keep it organic
GOD BLESS THE U.S.A.
Pray for our Troops!

-
by Sorellina on April 12, 2006 10:50 PM
Dave,

My boyfriend, Duane, is the pepper grower in this family. He put some of his "extra" Nocera Yellow Bells in a terra cotta pot last year with decent results. I was the one who watered for the most part because apart from that pot, all of the pots were my dwarf tomatoes. I wouldn't recommend a terra cotta pot for one thing. They heat up and dry out too much. Use a plastic 5-15 gal. bucket with 1/2" holes drilled in the bottom. We used Pro-Mix soilless container mix with water-retaining polymer gel mixed in. That formulation did wonders for very hot periods in the summer when I had to water 2x per day.

As for varieties, I think Duane is planning on putting all of his ornamentals into pots, plus some of the habs because they tend to be shorter. I think he's also hoping to bring them inside to overwinter under lights.

On the topic of germination and growth: we've learned that peppers take longer to germinate than tomatoes and once they do come up, they take their sweet time growing as well. Duane started the bulk of his peppers on Feb 25 and they're 5" tall now. I started my tomatoes on March 23 and they're 3" tall now, catching up to the peppers quickly. He used a heating mat under his pepper seed flat to help with germination and even with that, a lot of his seeds took more than 2 weeks to come up.

I hope this gives you some comfort, hang in there,
Julianna

-
by Triss on April 13, 2006 12:23 AM
Julianna,

This is not the first year I have done peppers, just the first time I have had such horrid luck with them. Last year mine did so well and the year before I successfully over wintered both serrano and jalapeno. There is just something about this year that has a lot of us seeing slow growth in our peppers.

But we are not giving up! Thanks for the encouragement.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: