The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

hostas in containers

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Hostas from seed?| Next thread: Hot Mocker »
Back to Thread index
by Lizzies on June 20, 2004 11:42 PM
I just gave my Dad a piece of a hosta plant I had in my garden and he wants to know if he can put it into a large half barrel container and will it grow again next year. We're talking Ontario northland.
by alankhart on June 21, 2004 01:41 AM
I grow several hostas in containers and they overwinter with no problem. Most hostas are extremely hardy. I actually dug one up and just left it laying next to my compost bin all winter (not in a pot...just lying on the ground)and it came back the following spring with no problem.

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on June 21, 2004 01:42 AM
Hostas will grow in containers,but I would be concerned about the size of the container. It would have to be small enough to bring inside when the harsh canadian winter blew in(if it goes below -30 that is),but large enough for the plant. Hostas can handle temps down to -30,but will die off if it gets lower.
Hope this helps.

Karen [grin]
by Lizzies on June 21, 2004 05:18 AM
Unfortunately, the container Dad is talking about is at the cottage which means it doesn't get tended during the winter. It is quite a large container. One of those half barrel things. The temperature has been known to drop to -40. I guess all he can do is experiment.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hostas from seed?| Next thread: Hot Mocker »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: