The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Black Ladybugs?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Black Lace Elderberry (Sambucus)| Next thread: Black Lava Rock »
Back to Thread index
by ClodHopper on May 27, 2004 05:59 AM
I was tending my garden this evening when I noticed several black bugs on my pepper plants. They where exact lady bug size and shape except they where black with white and orange spots. They didn't seem to have done any damage.... I'm wondering if I need to put the vinegar on them. I am new to this area and am not up on the local bug culture yet. We recently found several large brown recluse spiders when cleaning the garage.... YIKES!!!I have little ones. Sorry so long winded... thanks in advance.

Area:West Texas(Snyder), between Midland and Lubbock [nutz]

Hook em'
by weezie13 on May 27, 2004 06:12 AM
Hello ClodHopper,
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!!!
We are very glad you found us!!!

I think I'm going to IM "The Bug~Lady" on
your post and see if she can help you!!!

I don't think I've ever heard of a bug like that,
but again, it could be where your area is....

(We have several Texan's, all very, very nice here! Maybe a handfull will come by and say Hello! [wayey] )

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Buglady on May 27, 2004 07:09 AM
they sound like a species of twice stabbed ladybird beetle. they are good guys.. leave them. plus not too many inscts that feed on mint, with the oils in it.

Good luck!!

PS sure they are brown recluse?

-
 -
The Buglady
Suzanne Wainwright-Evans, www.bugladyconsulting.com
Educating the world... one bug at a time
by Jon on May 27, 2004 10:12 AM
Ok - - going to get shot for this one - but ....

If you actually found a number of brown recluse spiders - - - first, "bug bomb" your home and garage - if you haven't already. Then, I would get either a duck or goose to keep around as a "pet". Let them help keep the spider population under control. My uncle swears by the geese. He used to live in Oklahoma and says his geese used to even catch and eat water mocassins as well as scorpions and other bugs.

Normally I will not kill a spider - even a black widow. But after having seen what a recluse can do - the severe damage that they cause - - I would rather have no bugs (even the "good" ones) than to have one recluse.

Don't know if you know from first hand experience what a recluse bite does - - and I don't want to over alarm you - - - but .......... Take no chances.

But - also from what I know of the recluse (and it is not much) I'd have to second the Buglady's question - are you sure there were several brown recluses?

Jon
by ClodHopper on May 28, 2004 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll be sure and leave my ladybugs be. As for the spiders... I'm no arachnologist but I'm pretty sure these are brown recluse spiders that I am finding around the house. I included two pictures of one I found in the garage. We just bought the house a few months ago and I have found 3 in the house about 10 in the garage and maybe 20 or so cleaning up around the house. It wouldn't be a big deal but I have a 6 year old girl and a 1 year old boy. What the 6 year old doesn't pick up and play with the baby boy puts in his mouth.

Thanks again and tell me what you think from the photos I took.
 -
code:

-

Hook em'
by Phil and Laura on May 28, 2004 03:27 PM
Hi Clodhopper, glad to have you here, couldn't help asking about:
quote:
I'm wondering if I need to put the vinegar on them.
I haven't heard of that, hope you don't do it While they are on your plant... The vinegar willKill your plants! The Blackies are good fellers keep em around and see the post ...WEEZIE ASKED
by Buglady on May 28, 2004 06:58 PM
Well, it looks lie a brown recluse but the true way to tell is by looking at their eyes. Brown recluse have just six eyes (most spiders have eight) arranged in three pairs.

recluse eyes

Here is another link..
more spider eyes...

So get out your 10X hand lens and take a peek! Bet you did think you would be looking at spider eyes when you got up this morning.

Also were in TX are you exactly?

-
 -
The Buglady
by Gardencrazy on May 28, 2004 09:51 PM
On another message board I read a woman was bitten by a spider. She had a weeks stay in the hospital. She will be scarred for life. Please be careful when dealing with spiders like these. hobo spiders and traps
gardencrazy [flower]

-
 -
 - my webshots ~ my photobucket
by Buglady on May 28, 2004 11:48 PM
[wayey] Hey... there are some buddies at TX&M that are interested in your spiders ... they asked where you are.. they are looking to collect them.

Thanks!

-
 -
The Buglady
by Nako on May 30, 2004 03:44 AM
freaky o.O up here, we get these spiders that are shaped and sized just like black widows. The only i reason i can tell that they aren't widows is that they don't have the red spot.

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by catlover on May 31, 2004 06:30 PM
[scaredy] oh my gosh...ewwwe. After giving those TX&M their share...."I" would fumigate...gives me the chills. [scaredy] ....if it were me that garage, house etc. would be closed off and fumigated so fast it would make your head spin.
Buglady...would fumigation even work? [dunno] [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by ClodHopper on June 01, 2004 05:17 AM
Thanks for the help all. Since finding these BRS's around the house I have been doing quite a bit of reading about them and have learned quite a lot. Yes, I have seen some of the disfiguring wounds they leave; that's why I'm worried about one of my children happening along on one. Also I have checked and confirmed they have six eyes. So that brings me to BugLady's question.

I live in Snyder, Texas; and I would be happy to assist anyone in trying to collect specimens. So far I have picked up about 5 dead ones (mostly for proof of what they are), but haven't attempted to catch any live ones. You should tell your friends not to tarry though. I have started taking the measures of clearing up clutter around the outside of the house (woodpiles, lumber, etc...) and spraying around the house with CS Lambda-cyhalothrin. This seems to be having an effect already, because I am finding them dead sometimes instead of alive as always before.

Sorry it took so long to get back with you, the family and I went out of town for the long weekend.

[nutz]

Hook em'
by ClodHopper on June 01, 2004 05:19 AM
P.S. what exactly is TX&M? Texas A&M? If they are Aggies tell them I won't hold it against them.... See my signature.
[nutz]

Hook em'
by ClodHopper on June 03, 2004 05:37 PM
Bump [angel]

Hook em'
by Buglady on June 04, 2004 06:34 AM
lol yeah I typed the name wrong for the school.. lol i am a Gator i don't know about you TX people.. lol

anyhow, this is the gut that collects them

Michael Merchant, PhD, BCE
Urban Entomologist
Texas Cooperative Extension
17360 Coit Road
Dallas, Texas 75252-6599
USA
Phone: 972-952-9204
FAX: 972-952-9227
email: m-merchant@tamu.edu

and this is the guy that said if you have any questions you can call him

Scott A. Russell